Defective

This Class D reminded me of my own high school class. They arrived late all the time, skipped class, and were overall poorly behaved aside from the few good students that would continue to uphold good attendance. Initially, I thought that Hamada would be well behaved judging from his encouraging presence, but he ended up being a student who would arrive late pretty frequently which led others to thinking that they would be fine too after he had tested the waters. Out of those who I had observed to have no bad behavior, there were only four. But 10% is a good start. Everyday I observed the class with curiosity, their behavior was astounding with how closely it resembled the past. Mikuri still managed to arrive on time to school every day and never had any observable deductions, but those around her often tried to coerce her into being late or talking in class. She was very good at resisting the peer pressure, but at the same time it turned some of them away from the girl. She showed no signs of caring, something that made others uneasy.

At last, the first day of May arrived.

I walked in the classroom with indifferent steps. I had falsified as much of a look as a friendly teacher as I could over this past month, but now I could finally drop my act. I did not personally care for any of the students despite what it may have seemed to them in the first month. If they had managed to be outstanding despite their flaws, I may have kept the act a bit longer, but that was clearly not the case here. Today was the day that the culmination of the first month was unveiled.

Some noticed the change in demeanor within myself the second I walked in, but others took a minute to read the mood.

Hamada was the first to speak up for everyone, "Uh, Akiyama-sensei where are our points? Weren't they supposed to be deposited on the first of each month?"

Another student replied to his statement, "Yeah, all we got were 1000 points. Did the school like, forget a few zeros or something?"

"All points have been distributed correctly. There is no possibility that an error has been made," I stated without any fluctuation in my voice. I looked over the students who were ridden with anxiety and worry as I said that.

"But, weren't we supposed to get 100 thousand points every month?" Hamada asked.

"Are you all really that foolish?" I looked back at him sharply, causing him to recede back into his chair slightly. "Every month? When did I say that? I said that you would be given 100 thousand points to start with, not every month. The amount of points you are given is the culmination of your worth, and throughout this month you have proven that you are worth almost nothing."

Some began to raise their voices and discuss the discrepancy, but others went completely silent and sat in their chairs like meek prey. Even despite the dissatisfaction of the students in the classroom, they all looked scared to speak up from how much I had changed in an instant.

"Eighty-seven absences and late arrivals. Two hundred seventy-one instances in talking or using a cell phone in class. All that in just one month? You can't really tell me that the government would spend 100,000 each on worthless students like you."

"You didn't explain that to us before Akiyama-sensei..." Abe Satoshi said weakly from the second row of the classroom.

"Does every detail have to be spelled out for you? You should all know better by now. Weren't you told during elementary school and junior high not to talk in class or arrive late?" I took out the large paper that displayed the results and posted it on the board. On it the scores read as such:

Class Point Totals

Class A — 890

Class B — 770