prologue

•••

•••

emilia hart, 17 years old and an unwilling stars hollow resident. her dad ran off with his other family years ago and her mom is a drunk who sleeps with a different guy every other day. her and rory have been friends since they met in second grade and her other best friend, sofia flores, they've been best friends since birth. unfortunately she's studying abroad their junior year and won't be around until the summer. sofia's boyfriend eric adler has also become a good friend of hers but they haven't been hanging out as much now that sofia is away for the year.

emilia's never felt at home in her own house especially after her father left. she only goes to pay the bills and the rest of the time splits her time between the diner and the crap shack. luke and lorelai are basically her parents at this point. sometimes she wishes that her mother left her too and then lorelai could adopt her but that was when she was a kid. now, she acts out and spends the time she isn't working, pulling pranks on taylor. most of the town thinks that she's going to end up exactly like her mom but the people who really know her truly believe that she will go on to do great things. and one of those people is jess mariano. she never thought that she would  be able to find her person. despite her being a hopeless romantic at heart, she's an angsty teenager who can't help but despise everyone around her. well everyone except jess.

jess mariano, former new yorker and new resident bad boy in stars hollow. his mother doesn't want him around and his dad left the same day that he was born. and his mother  wonders why he acts out. jess never really liked new york. he never found his people, just mutual friends to get drunk with. but after moving, nothing has changed. he hates everything and everyone in this wacko town, well except for one person. jess never thought that he would find his person. despite him being a hopeless romantic at heart, he's an angsty asshole who treats everyone around him like shit just because he can. well everyone except emilia.

•••