Chapter 5: Hurt A Lot Less

Violet and Remus sat in his dorm alone, lying beside each other on his bed and staring at the ceiling. His friends were at a party, which he had insisted they went to.

"Please don't leave," He whispered.

She shook her head. "I'll stay with you until you fall asleep, okay? Just like I promised."

"This medication is difficult to get used to," He murmured. "I can hardly sleep."

"It's okay. I'll stay as long as you need."

Remus turned his head to face her. "Can't you just stay here tonight?"

"We'll get in trouble," She muttered.

"I'll pull the sick card," He laughed weakly. "Please?"

Violet smiled softly. "Okay, I'll stay here tonight." He sat up and began to rift through his drawers. "What are you doing?"

"Finding you something to wear, you can't sleep in your uniform."

"I can just go and grab something from my dorm, it's no trouble."

"Yeah, you could, or you could wear that jumper of mine you've always loved." He grinned. "You know, the navy blue one."

She gasped and tilted her head. "Merlin, Remus, you really know how to win me over."

He passed her the jumper and a pair of pyjama bottoms he had. She stood up get changed, and he rolled over to face his pillow, with his hands over his eyes.

"You can look, it's okay," She laughed as she unbuttoned her shirt. "It's not as if we're strangers."

"I don't mind," He shook his head.

"I'm dressed now." She sat back down beside him and he turned around. "I'm not even kidding, Remus, this jumper is the best thing I've ever worn."

"It looks really good on you," He smiled.

"I know, it looks truly beautiful on me," She mocked.

"Keep it, it's not like it's going to be any use to me in a few months." Remus shrugged.

She looked at him disappointedly, "Don't say that."

"Come on, Vi, we both know it's true."

Violet shook her head. "Stop it."

"Violet-"

"Remus, I said stop!" She furrowed her eyebrows. "I know that this is your way of dealing with it but I don't want to be reminded of the fact that... you're dying."

Remus looked at his hands. "... You're right. I'm sorry."

She sighed. "... No, I am... Do you want to talk about it?"

He bit his cheek and nodded softly. "... I know I joke about it but... I'm terrified of dying. I'm terrified of how it feels and what happens after." He looked at the ceiling trying and hide his tears. "I mean, how will everyone react? I hate knowing I'll be the fault of people's unhappiness."

"Remus, none of this is your fault." She put her hand on his. "You know that right? Tell me you know it isn't your fault."

He nodded. "I know."

"Say it then, say you know it isn't your fault."

"... I know it's not my fault." He whispered. "But sometimes I just think... maybe it would hurt people a lot less if I just gave up now."

"Don't give up," She shook her head. "Never give up."

He lay down and pulled her to lie down with him. "I won't."

She pulled him in and his head rested on her chest. She stroked his hair and began to cry silently. "Good. Because I can't even imagine a world without you in it."

Remus didn't comment on the fact that she was going to live in that world soon. Instead, he closed his eyes and internally begged to fall asleep to ignore the reality of his too near a death.

And for the first time in his life, he didn't want it to happen.

Fated - Remus Lupin Fanficजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें