Chapter 24 | Goodnight

Violet and Remus had been left alone while the other three got some of Remus' stuff to make his stay in the hospital more comfortable.

They laughed quietly, as Remus held her hand up. "I like that ring, when did you get it?"

"One of the girls I became friends with at Beauxbatons gave it to me. I was too scared to wear it for ages but I put it on the other week."

He smiled. "What was her name? You weren't trying to replace me as a best friend, were you?"

"Her name was Cécile. And no, I wasn't trying to replace you." Violet grinned and shook her head. "... Don't you think we should talk about it?"

"About what?"

"You know... about us." She shrugged. "Even before you passed out we were left on a weird patch."

Remus sighed. "I don't know what to say, because I don't want to hurt you with what I want to say."

"Say it."

"And if you're upset?"

"It's something I'll live with."

"... I still love you."

She smiled. "I love you too."

Slowly and softly, they leaned in to exchange a gentle kiss.

Foreheads pressed together and with teary eyes shut, Violet whispered, "We'll get through this together."

After pulling away, Violet shuffled closer to Remus and he put his arm around her. "Hey, you know the night I told you I passed out and told you I started drawing? I was serious, by the way."

"I thought you were saying it to piss me off."

"No, I was being genuine. I had been up for nights working on it."

"Can I see it?" She sat up, looking around for it.

"Not yet, no. It's a work in progress." He laughed.

Violet sat back down into Remus' embrace.

Her voice went quiet.

"Remus... if I tell you something can you please keep it secret?"

"Of course," He nodded at her with a sincere look on his face.

"When you were unconscious for a few weeks... I started to see things again. I was taking my meds but... I saw you."

He gave her a semi-panicked look. "It didn't get you to do anything dangerous, did it?"

"... You kind of just wound me up. Pissed me off a bit but... You weren't a threat to me. I know you weren't a threat."

"Don't call it me, Vi, because it's not. Have you told anyone else about this?"

"Just you."

"Not Emmeline or Pandora?"

"I don't think they'd understand."

"Why not?"

"Because I think you-... It was trying to, I don't know, help me in some way? It helped me plan my apology to you, granted it became useless, but it helped. And it reminded me of my medicine. So I don't think it minded if it went away, it just didn't want me to be alone while it was here."

Remus was lost for words, because what was someone supposed to do in this situation?

"I don't know how... You want me to help, Violet. All I can suggest is speaking to your mum to up your meds. Get a stronger dose maybe, if that's even a thing." 

"You don't think it's weird, do you?"

"No, you can't help it." He immediately shook his head and took her hand, their fingers entwining. "I just want you to be safe."

"I am being safe. I promise."

"On your whole heart?"

"On my whole, entire, beating heart, I promise I'm being safe."

"Good. I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Knock knock!" James tugged at the curtain.

"If you two are shagging right now then-" Peter pushed past the curtain with his hands over his eyes.

"We aren't fucking, Peter, uncover your bloody eyes." Remus laughed and threw a blanket at Peter's head.

The three laughed as they came past the curtain, holding all sorts for Remus in bags.

"So, we've got an extra blanket, chocolate bars, some jumpers, a few pairs of fluffy socks that James made us pack, a few books, some notepads- uhhh..." Sirius rummaged through the bag.

"Thank you." Remus smiled. "It's great. I'll look later."

"I'm really sorry, my loves, but it's getting close to curfew." Poppy stood at the entrance of the curtains. "Only one of you can stay with Remus tonight."

"Violet." Remus instantly spoke. "Can Violet stay with me?"

Violet looked at the other three, who all weren't upset by Remus' choice. "Violet, is that okay? Will you stay with Remus?"

"Of course," She nodded. "If that's okay with the others, that is."

"Please, it saves us from having him curled into our chest the whole night." Sirius laughed.

"I don't care who curls into who's chest as long as it's PG 13," Poppy shrugged. "Alright Violet, come with me and I'll get you some pyjamas. Boys say your goodbyes for the night."

Poppy took Violet down the hall and passed her some fresh pyjamas, "They're brand new, don't worry." She smiled. "Bought them for my niece but she didn't want them."

Violet laughed gently and took them from her hands. "Thank you, Poppy."

She went into the bathroom to change, folding her school uniform gently.

When she walked out, she put her uniform on the chair and sat down beside Remus.

"Alright, see you guys tomorrow." Peter waved and picked up his jacket.

Quickly, the boys left and Violet settled down beside Remus.

"Okay so I'm going out in the morning with the other nurses to get some more medicine at Hogsmeade, but I should be back before you wake up. Think you'll be okay?" Poppy smiled.

"Yeah, we'll be fine, thank you." Remus smiled as she left.

The two giggled softly as they closed their eyes, trying to go to sleep.

"Christ, Vi, you're freezing!" He laughed softly.

"Yeah? You're boiling, I feel like I'm melting."

"I'm saving you from getting hypothermia."

"Can you save me without soaking me in sweat?"

"Jesus Christ, wait a second."

He sat upright, pulling his jumper over his head and passing it to her. "It's the navy blue one. Put it on."

"If the armpits are wet..."

"Don't be gross! I'm not even sweaty, you're just exaggerating."

"Yeah yeah, whatever." She grinned as she put on his jumper.

They both lay back down, falling back into each other's embrace. "Goodnight, Violet." He whispered. "I love you."

"Goodnight, I love you too."