Chapter 26 | Awaken

Violet woke up that morning with a warmth in her body, her head nuzzled into Remus' embrace. Despite being in the hospital wing, on an uncomfortable mattress and in an eerie room, it was one of the best nights of sleep she had ever had.

Remus' soft jumper was probably what did it. She knew it.

She sleepily rubbed her eyes and looked up at the clock on the wall opposite her, and immediately jolted herself awake.

"Shit, Remus, I have to get to class!"" She nudged him softly as she faced away from him and began to wedge on her school shoes and tie her hair up. "I have a free period second and third so I'll come and visit you-"

She turned around to kiss him goodbye, only to notice the paleness of his face and the grey glazing on his open eyes. His body was stiff.

Speechless, Violet shook her head.

"No," She clambered back onto the bed and began to shake him by the shoulders, "No, no, no, no, no- Remus! REMUS WAKE UP!"

She began to scream and wail as she desperately grasped at the illusion of opportunity to bring him back.

She messily pressed her lips against his and tried to force some air into his lungs.

Willing to offer her entire being just for him to return to colour, to say something, anything.

She clasped her hands together and began to try and give him CPR.

"Oh, God," Violet wiped the sweat from her forehead and began to try again until she heard a crack and felt his chest cave in. "NO!"

She fell limply on top of him, sobbing into his chest, which she had just been so peacefully sleeping on, now broken underneath her.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry-" She took unsteady breaths which were technically just her gasping for air. "I'm so sorry."

Finally, the doors to the hospital wing opened. Upon hearing long, aching cries, Poppy and the nurses ran behind the curtains.

They all stopped in their tracks when they saw the young girl cradling her boyfriend's lifeless body in her arms, begging him to wake up.

"Violet-" They pulled her back to see the sunken hole in his chest.

"I tried to save him-" She blubbered. "I tried to save him but he wouldn't wake up- why wouldn't he wake up?!"

Nurses pulled her back from his body and began to hold her as they covered him with a sheet. "I'll notify the parents." Nurse Pruitt whispered.

"Violet, why don't you come with me?" Pomfrey held her and tried to walk her towards a bed.

They sat down on a bed together, but being away from it didn't erase what she had seen. Still wailing, she fell into Poppy's lap.

"I don't know how- He- He had months! YOU TOLD ME HE HAD MONTHS!"

She didn't dare argue with the girl, and softly touched her hair.

"YOU'RE A LIAR! YOU LIED TO ME! YOU-... You..."

Violet's cries became silent and weak, as she lightly removed herself from Poppy's grasp. She stumbled out of the hospital wing in tired steps, still heavily crying.

Only a few steps out did she come across James, Peter and Sirius.

"Violet?" James frowned, a sinking feeling emerging in his stomach. "What's-"

She gave them a look, a desperate and pleading look. One that told them everything.

One that made the boys begin to cry as much as her. "I..." She shook her head. "He... He's gone. Remus is dead."