Chapter 20 | The Fallen

Violet, despite the endless support from Remus, decided to treat herself. By going to a party.

She felt better about it knowing she wasn't going to envision people telling her to just have one more drink, and she felt like she could enjoy herself this time.

So she went with Pandora and Emmeline, and they dressed up all pretty.

They walked into the party, with linked arms.

"You know, Vi, I'm really glad you're getting better," Pandora smiled.

"I feel better," Violet grinned happily, "Like, honestly. I mean, I think before I accepted that feeling fine meant feeling happy but God- I missed feeling happy."

Emmeline poured something for all of the girls and then gave them the cups. "It's a really great step you've taken."

"Yeah, it's..." Violet frowned and squinted. "Is that... Remus?"

"Where?"

"Over there," She pointed over to a table, in which she saw Remus and Peter together laughing.

"Oh yeah, it is. First party he's been to this year, good for him," Pandora smiled.

Violet dropped her drink and walked over to where Remus was, hoping that what she thought was happening wasn't.

"Remus?"

"Vi?" He grinned. "Hey! Didn't know you'd be here."

"I- I came here with my girls. Have..." Spit it out, Violet. Just ask him. What's the worst that can happen? "Have you been drinking?"

The worst thing he could say was-

"Yes."

Remus nodded and smiled cluelessly.

Violet's stomach dropped and she looked at his friends. "You let him drink?!"

"Was- Was he not supposed to?"

"It conflicts with his meds!" Violet stared at all of them in disbelief. "Did you not tell them that?"

"I... I forgot."

She passed his drink to Peter and took Remus, wrist, leading them out of the party.

"This is funny isn't it Vi?" He smiled. "Only a few weeks ago I was doing this exact thing for you."

Violet ignored his comment and rolled her eyes as she dragged him towards the hospital wing. "I can't believe you'd be so stupid."

"Hey, you know Violet, I can finally cross the last thing off that bucket list! I started drawing."

She stopped in her tracks and turned around to him, in disbelief that he could be joking at a time like this. "You're an idiot, Remus. You could be in serious danger right now."

"It was just a... Just a..."

She continued to walk. "Don't give me the 'just one drink' bullshit, because even a drop could be enough to-"

The wrist she was holding suddenly almost dragged her to the floor, and with the noise of a large smack, she turned around to see Remus unconscious on the floor.

"Remus? Oh my fucking God- REMUS?!" Violet screamed, kneeling beside him and shaking him.

He didn't respond and his body just lay there, cold.

Violet ran up the stairs to the party, frantically searching for someone. She spotted Sirius close to the door and dragged him out so they could talk.

"Violet what-"

"Remus has passed out halfway down the stairs. I need you to get James and Peter to help us carry him to the hospital wing. I'll stay with him."

Without protest, Sirius nodded and ran back inside to get the other two as she ran back down to Remus.

She touched his face gently, almost scared that the simplest interaction would damage him. "I'm so sorry, Remus, please wake up I'm sorry. Please, please, please wake up."

She heard footsteps running down and she looked up to see not only the boys but Pandora and Emmeline too.

While the three carried Remus around their shoulders, Violet walked quickly behind, with her friends trying to calm her down.

"It's not looking good." Poppy shook her head as she came out of the wing.

"But he's alive?" Violet stood up. "He's alive, isn't he? Like-... Isn't he?"

Pomfrey nodded. "He's alive, yes. Barely, but he is."

"So we can see him?" Peter frowned.

"I'm afraid not. His immune system is so weak right now that any exposure to outside bacteria could be enough to... kill him."

"Well, how long do you think it will be until he's fine again and... we can, you know... see him?" James asked.

"I'm going to be honest with you guys because you're good kids, but there's a high chance that..." She sighed. "Remus might not make it."