Chapter 30 | ICU

Ten years.

They're finally all meeting again.

It's different now.

Everything is different.

Anger turned to sadness. Sadness turned to hurt. But after everything became a blur, it all just turned into grief. A messy, confusing, and never-ending bundle of grief that followed them as tears passed.

But that wasn't all that had changed.

James and Lily were married. They had two kids, Harry and Petunia. They lived in a small town upstate, where Lily worked as a summertime teacher for muggleborns and James worked as her teaching aid.

Peter had adopted a daughter , a teenage girl called Olive. They lived in the city with a dog he rescued. He worked as a baker, who ran his own cafe. His daughter helps him on weekends to get pocket money.

Sirius lived in the apartment above Pete, but he lived with his boyfriend whom he refused to tell the others about, rather than his name being Warren. They were considering adopting a dog together.

They all kept in touch.

But Violet... She had never fully moved on.

The fact they had been able to killed her.

The last time she spoke to any of them, was to congratulate the Potters on their growing family, to celebrate Peters' new job and to support Sirius in his choice to try and finally commit to a relationship. Years ago.

But she declined invites, sent back birthday presents, and ignored any letter sent through her door that wasn't financial.

She spent most of her days in her study with her cat, who would sit on her lap and sleep as she worked for hours on end.

Hung behind her chair is a certificate, for getting a PhD in the field of Lycanthropy. She had occupied her years in studying werewolves and attempting to find a cure for Sepsis.

But it had been ten years since Remus died.

The anniversary brought back the same memories that Violet dreaded to relive every year.

Sirius had been able to get in touch with her, by tracking her down and showing up in person.

He managed to get her to go with the other three, as they visited Remus' grave as an act of remembrance for him.

They drove to the graveyard in four separate cars. Violet was the only one driving alone.

As the others waited in the car, Sirius, Violet, Peter and James entered the gates together. James told them he had a bouquet made especially for the grave for them all to place.

But when they got there, there were already fresh flowers on the stone. They were Dahlias tied together by a blue ribbon.

The four didn't know what to say about the sight. "Maybe someone who works here leaves flowers for random graves now and then." Peter looked down at them.

"Maybe Hope hires someone to do it. Poor woman's getting older and maybe she can't deliver them herself anymore." Sirius shrugged.

James gently placed the Dahlias on one side of the grave, before placing his beside them. "Whoever it was, we should be grateful that they did that for him."

He glanced at Violet with a hint of suspicion. She lived hours away from the burial site, sure, but none of them knew what she got up to anymore. He knew how much she loved Remus. He could imagine her doing this.

Violet looked back at James, with sorrow in her eyes. It was her. It was so very obviously her. She didn't mind if they knew. She minded that they hadn't cared enough for Remus to do the same.

They all stood staring at the grave quietly.

"Does anyone want to say any words?" Peter looked at them.

They stayed silent.

"We love you, Remus," Sirius spoke softly.

After what felt like hours, they said goodbyes. "Violet, you coming? We're gonna go to a bar and get some drinks for us and dinner for the kids."

"I'll uh... I'll just be a moment. I'd like to have a moment alone with Remus if that's okay." She smiled awkwardly, trying to act casual.

James nodded. "Okay, I'll come and get you in a few minutes."

She knelt by Remus' grave. Remus knelt beside her.

"Sorry for missing my visit yesterday," She told him. "At least the rain kept the flowers fresh."

He laughed. "You were busy working for something really great, Vi. Someone that could save hundreds of lives. You're allowed to miss visits. You don't even have to visit me at all."

"I can't not visit. What if that means you disappear? Because I'm not visiting you enough?"

"I'll only leave when I know you're ready. And when I do, I promise, you'll be so glad that I'm gone."

Violet began to cry. She didn't understand. She would always miss him. "I don't want to lose you twice."

"Oh, Violet... Sometimes losing people is what's best."

"Violet?!" James called.

She turned around to him, he was quite far away.

"Go on, catch up with them. They've been missing you just as much as you've been missing me." Remus smiled. "We can talk another time."

"You promise you'll be alright?"

"I'll be fine, just go!" She stood up with him and walked towards James.

"Hey, you alright?" He frowned, his face plastered with concern.

"Yeah," She nodded. "I just want to talk to you guys."

He smiled. "You and me both. Come on, let's get out of here. I feel like it's been forever..."

They walked together away from the graves, but before they exited the gates, Violet turned around and mouthed. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Because she would do exactly that.

———