Phoenix, Arizona
Sharina Bahía Luna Baptiste

Phoenix, ArizonaSharina Bahía Luna Baptiste

"Bebé, bring the tacos here, please." my mother instructed.

My mom, Taurus, and I are seated at the table currently having dinner.

I sighed, slowly picking up the platter of tacos and putting it in front of my mother. She grabbed them and immediately put them in her mouth.

"Ma, slow down, they not going nowhere." I sighed rolling my eyes at her childish antics.

Lately, life's been arduous, my family has been nagging me about picking a college.

My mother wants me to attend the highest academic college yet she wants me to stay here in Arizona so I don't leave her on her own.

Ora wants me to attend the same college she will attend because 'we're family'. I honestly don't know what goes through Ora's head but like I always say 'she's crazy'.

And Taurus could honestly could care less, as long as I'm getting my education and not dropping out, he doesn't care.

Sometimes I wish more people were like him. He is unbothered about everything and he doesn't pry into my business and for that, I am grateful.

All the stories I hear about step-dads and how they try to force the 'Man of the House' title, he doesn't do that at all. He also never made me call him 'dad' which I am also grateful for.

"Bahaí, if you don't touch ya food I'm going to take it. Eat." My mother said, once again nagging.

Choosing not to respond I reach for my tacos, rice, and beans. This is such a basic ass meal but it's enjoyable.

After I have the right portion of food on my plate I dig in. Silence engulfed the dining room, we were so focused on our food that we forget we were all in the room together.

That was until my mama opened her fat ass mouth.

"Bahía, you forgot to tell me, how was that brunch you had a few days ago?" she said looking up at me with knowing eyes.

"It was okay. The food was good." I said keeping it short not wanting to tell much.

"That's not what I heard." She mumbled in her mother tongue, sipping on her Sangria.

Putting down my food and looking at her I say "What did you hear mamá?" I asked, already knowing what she was about to say.

"Your tía told me that you met some wonderful girls and they told you to come to the college and do cheerleading. What did you say?" she said mixing her rice and beans.

"I said that I'll think about it. You know I don't do sports mamá." I said in irritation.

"Well, you can at least try. In my world cheerleading isn't even really a sport and Ora will be there." she voiced with a mouthful of food. I scrunched my face up in disgust.