|| 12. Midnight Duel (UN-EDITED)

Y/N and Draco occupied a prominent spot on the platform, their dueling wands poised in the air as they engaged in an animated exchange of charms and spells

Y/N and Draco occupied a prominent spot on the platform, their dueling wands poised in the air as they engaged in an animated exchange of charms and spells. The air crackled with magic as their mock-duel unfolded, each incantation met with a counter-spell, and each move punctuated by a flurry of gestures. 

Snape's watchful gaze was fixed upon them, his keen eyes following every twist and turn of their conjurations. All eyes were drawn to the spectacle, the competitive fervor of their duel capturing the attention of onlookers.

As first-years, their knowledge of spells was limited, and this duel was an exercise in showcasing the basics they had mastered. The platform seemed to transform into a makeshift battleground, their determination evident in each flick of their wands. The audience remained captivated, witnessing a display of skill and camaraderie that underscored the spirit of Hogwarts.

The duel eventually reached its climax, with Y/N emerging as the triumphant victor. Her wand was raised high in the air, a gesture of pride and accomplishment that drew nods of approval from Snape himself. He approached the duo, a measured acknowledgment in his demeanor. 

"Mr. Malfoy, a decent showing," Snape's praise was delivered with a touch of gravitas, and Draco's initial frown gave way to a genuine smile, his pride evident in the recognition he had received.

"Miss Y/N, not bad for a girl," Snape's comment, however, carried a note of nonchalance. He did not extend the same congratulatory sentiment to Y/N, and the weight of his words lingered in the air. 

Y/N's reaction was immediate, her gaze narrowing slightly as she regarded the professor with a small scowl. She scoffed under her breath as she adjusted her robes, the moment a mixture of triumph and subtle annoyance.

Draco, perceptive as ever, whispered a reassurance to Y/N, his voice a hushed exchange amidst the fading echoes of their duel. His words held a tinge of playfulness as he addressed her concerns. 

"Don't take it too personally, Y/N," he offered, his own robes being donned as he continued. 

"It's not because you're a girl, if that's what you're thinking. Snape just... favors me more," his teasing tone carried a bantering quality, a camaraderie that sought to ease her agitation.

However, Y/N's response was a roll of her eyes, a gesture that revealed her unwillingness to entertain such explanations. The playful back-and-forth held little sway in the face of her clearheadedness.  She started to walk away, her strides a blend of determination and a hint of defiance.

✴✴✴✴✴

Seated within the Charms Classroom, Y/N's anticipation grew as Professor Flitwick placed the graded papers before them. The air buzzed with a mix of tension and excitement, the culmination of their efforts captured within those pages.