|| 14. Friendship Over! (UN-EDITED)

Sitting at the Ravenclaw Table, Y/N's demeanor was far from cheerful as she absentmindedly toyed with her food. The tense air around her was a constant reminder of the fallout from her recent outburst, leaving a strain in her relationship with Sophie, Seraphina, and Aurora. Apologizing seemed like an insurmountable task, her pride acting as a barrier she was unwilling to breach.

The gloom that hung over her was not just about her strained friendships, but a reflection of her overall disillusionment. The recent loss of her companions had solidified her belief that forming connections only led to pain.

She berated herself for ever letting her guard down, for allowing herself to become vulnerable to the inevitable hurt that followed. Trusting new people had always been a challenge for her, and this situation only reinforced her reservations.

At just twelve years old, her demeanor was notably mature, an unusual combination of coldness and bluntness. The softer facets of her personality were reserved for a select few – Kipper, Amaryllis, her Nanny from America, and perhaps a few more hidden in the recesses of her past. The rarity of those who glimpsed her more childlike side could be counted on one hand.

With a sigh, she propped her chin on her palm, her thoughts momentarily consumed by the upcoming Quidditch practice meeting with Cho Chang, a substitute for Davis. Her fork prodded at a piece of meat on her plate, a reminder of the advice Davis had given her about protein and fiber intake for her training.

A voice broke through her thoughts, and she swiveled her head to face the source of the interruption. Hermione stood before her, an air of determination about her. Y/N's arms crossed defensively as she regarded the Gryffindor.

"What— oh," Y/N mumbled in acknowledgment, her guard clearly still up.

"What do you want?" Y/N questioned, her tone laced with a mix of curiosity and suspicion. Hermione, not one to mince words, rolled her eyes before extending a piece of paper toward Y/N.

"You're my partner," Hermione declared matter-of-factly.

Y/N's eyebrows furrowed as she accepted the paper and began to read. The contents revealed that they were paired up for an upcoming field trip, an arrangement that Y/N found less than desirable.

A small scoff escaped her lips as she scanned the paper, confirming that she was indeed stuck with Hermione as her partner for the excursion. The realization that they would be tethered to each other during the entire trip didn't sit well with her.

"There must be a mistake," Y/N grumbled, a trace of frustration coloring her words.

"I've already spoken to Dumbledore; it's final," Hermione retorted, her tone tinged with irritation. "Believe me, being forced to spend time within three feet of you isn't exactly my idea of a good time," she added, her annoyance evident.

Y/N's glare intensified, a silent promise that she wouldn't make the experience any easier for Hermione. "The feeling's mutual, Granger," Y/N shot back, a brief exchange that marked the beginning of an unlikely partnership – one forged in the crucible of circumstance and reluctantly accepted by two strong-willed individuals.

"You ruin everything!"

✴✴✴✴✴

Strolling through the sunlit Courtyard, the verdant grass brushed gently against Y/N's ankles, creating a soothing rhythm with each step she took alongside Cho. Their hands bore the weight of heavy boxes on each side, and as they finally lowered the burdens to the ground, Y/N observed the older witch's actions with a mix of curiosity and anticipation.

"I reckon you know how to play Quidditch, right?" Cho's voice broke the silence, and Y/N's head bobbed in affirmation. "America has one of the best teams," Cho continued, her tone carrying a hint of admiration.