chapter 2

Heejin followed Jiwoong and Hayoung to lunch

Heejin followed Jiwoong and Hayoung to lunch. She put her hands in both of her jacket pockets upon noticing that her phone wasn't with her. "Oh— I need to get my phone back in the classroom." She spoke.

The couple turned around. Their hands were surprisingly not interlocked today. "Do you want us to wait for you?" Hayoung asked kindly. And yet, Heejin still wondered why Hayoung was the first choice when it was obvious.

She treated others kindly, always made sure they weren't left out, and was very generous. So many yet no words can describe how lovely the girl is. That's just who she is.

"No thanks." The other shook her head, giving her a soft smile. Then, she turned around, sprinting back to the classroom.

She sometimes thought it was her fault for being the second choice.

━━━━⊱⋆ ⟡ ⋆⊰━━━━

Heejin arrived at the school cafeteria after running across the school. Her eyes caught her friends sitting at a table. She could almost hear their laughter and loud voices harmonizing together even if the loud voices of the other students filled the room.

She walked to their table before sitting at the empty seat next to her friend, Yujin. He was a sophomore, and the cutest in the world (according to Gyuvin).

"You won't get lunch?" The boy softly whispered to the girl. Heejin shook her head. "No appetite." She replied. "And you still complain about why you can't poop every day." He scoffed.

Just then, a small rice bowl appeared in front of the girl. A hand that was holding the rice bowl quickly let go after the bowl was set on the table. Heejin looked to see that Jiwoong was looking at her. The two longingly stared at each other before her thoughts were snapped by his voice.

"At least eat something. You don't want to get a stomach ache." He frowned. Heejin looked over his shoulder and saw Hayoung nodding in agreement.

She pushed the bowl back to the boy. "It's alright. The lunch menu is pretty bad today. I'll just get food after school at the convenience store." She assured him.

"Don't do that. People will misunderstand." The girl thought.

Jiwoong wasn't sure but accepted it either way. He didn't want to start another argument.

"Yujin! Heejin—Oh your guys' names both end in 'jin'—can you give me the napkin? This lunch tastes horrible!" Another friend named Matthew asked, sitting across the table.

Yujin passed him a napkin before he spat out his food.

"This lunch is horrible."

━━━━⊱⋆ ⟡ ⋆⊰━━━━

Lunchtime flew by quick like the wind and soon, everybody was back in their classrooms. Her next-period teacher entered the classroom. Their shoes clicked and clacked against the smooth tiles. She fidgeted with her pen, having the tip hit the clipboard in her other hand.

Her teacher placed the clipboard on the podium before clearing her throat. She adjusted her glasses, as it was going to slide off her greasy nose. Then, the lady spoke.

"Heejin, you'll need to clean the classroom today. Ms. Park conveyed her message to you. Hayoung signed off early." Heejin's eyebrows knitted as she was confused. The girl averted her gaze to Hayoung's desk, only for it to be empty.

She turned back to her teacher before speaking. "But where—" Her teacher interrupted the girl.

"Now, don't you start protesting. You were late for class, right? You have your reasons for cleaning the classroom. It's only going to be today. Hayoung will fill in an extra day to clean the classroom with either Gyuvin or Ricky. Depends which one is more mature."

Although Gyuvin and Ricky didn't express it, they were deeply offended by their history teacher.

Heejin nodded, now resting her head on her arms against the desk. She'll just have to wait before school ends. Her eyes laid on the analog clock as it ticked.

━━━━⊱⋆ ⟡ ⋆⊰━━━━

School eventually ended and all of the students were gone except for Heejin and Jiwoong. The mops were given to them by the janitor. They both took their mops and began cleaning the floor quietly.

It wasn't awkwardly quiet, but it felt comfortable. They cleaned up each space, leaving the room spotless. Then, Heejin came across dried gum that was sticking on the floor. She used the tip of her mop to scrape the gum off. That was when she began to speak.

"Where did Hayoung go?" She asked. No response came from the other, as he was still trying to clean the floor.

"Jiwoong, where did Hayoung go?"

He breathed. "We had an argument during passing period, and I think I might've gone too far."

"Whatever your argument was about, you sure did go far," Heejin said as she was halfway done scraping the gum off. She thought back to how the two weren't holding hands during their walk to the cafeteria.

"We were quite busy recently and weren't able to hang out with each other a lot. Personally, I think we're both at fault here." He stopped mopping the floor. He leaned against the podium. His eyes laid on the girl struggling to scrape the gum off the floor.

Unknowingly, his lips formed a small smile, amused at the sight of the poor girl. She eventually got the gum off the floor, and she pinched it with her hands approaching the trash bin to throw it away.

The two mopped again before both of their mops made contact with each other, meaning that they were done cleaning the classroom.

"I think you should ask her on a date. Try making up to her and apologizing for whatever you've done." Heejin lifted her backpack from the floor. She wore it on, both hands sliding through the straps.

Jiwoong also wore his backpack, except that he only slid one of his arms through the strap. He left the other wrap hanging.

"Thanks! I tried asking my other friends for advice, but they weren't helpful at all." Heejin felt a sharp stab at her heart after hearing the boy's words. He quickly bid goodbye and ran out of the classroom.

"Of course." Heejin sighed. "'I tried asking my other friends for advice—' I hope he never says that again."

━━━━⊱⋆ ⟡ ⋆⊰━━━━

I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED THSI CHAPTER AND I HAD TO REWRITE EVERYTHING :SOB: