열여섯

chapter 16

Yeosang, Heejin's cousin who just had appeared out of nowhere, grasped his cousin's wrist before pulling her into the forest

Yeosang, Heejin's cousin who just had appeared out of nowhere, grasped his cousin's wrist before pulling her into the forest. He pulled her out of her friend group. He sprinted into the fresh green forests where the treasure may lie in. Heejin almost tripped a few times. She opened her mouth to yell at Yeosang but saw Wooyoung jogging with the two.

She kept her mouth shut until they were far in the forest within the campsite zone. Once the three were far into the woods, they were welcomed with a fresh scent of nature. The cool breeze hit the leaves, and the rushing waves of water flew like the wind. The grass they were stepping on was quite damp

Wooyoung heaved out a heavy sigh. He rested his hands on his thighs as he tried to catch his breath. Heejin tried to stabilize her breathing after being dragged to the deep ends of the forest because of Yeosang.

"Yeosang—" Inhale. "How can you run this fast?" Exhale. "Without feeling tired?" Inhale. Exhale.

Yeosang grinned innocently as Wooyoung and Heejin were weak in the limbs, especially the latter. As Wooyoung stood up, he began to speak. "By the way, are we even going to eat breakfast?" That was when Yeosang pulled out three packs of bagels. He gave each of them one bag.

"We'll be searching for the treasure the whole day. I stand by my word." Yeosang raised his fist filled with determination. Soon after, he opened his pack of bagels before taking a large bite.

"Well, let's go then!" Wooyoung grabbed Yeosang and Heejin's wrists. They were going to have fun for sure.

━━━━⊱ ⋆ ⟡ ⋆ ⊰━━━━

Heejin walked through the damp grounds of the large forest. The forest scent filled her nostrils. The beaming sunrays which the leaves were covering, touched the moist plants. The chirps from the birds filled the quiet atmosphere. Her shoes touched a small stick laying on the ground, creating a faint cracking noise. It snapped in half.

Butterflies freely flew through the gaps between the forest trees. Squirrels nibbled on their acorns quickly before running off. Bugs crawled through the wet green grounds. Heejin sighed to herself, carefully walking through the forest, alone.

"How in the world did I get lost?" She muttered. She looked down at the bagel pack she was holding. The girl hadn't eaten the breakfast Yeosang had given her. So far, she had found one hint but gave it to Wooyoung before she got lost, leaving her with none. It didn't make sense to her. This resulted in her not putting much of her care into it.

After walking for a short while, she was met with a small river flowing through the forest. A few droplets of water hit her face after creating a wave. She squatted, admiring her reflection in the fresh flowing water. Her arms were wrapped around her legs. Her eyes longingly stared at the water for as long as she could imagine.

Someone peered over the girl's shoulder, also looking at his reflection. He checked to see if his hair was nicely styled by slicking it back, though the strands fell to its original place. He playfully bit his bottom lip, checking himself out.

Heejin's eyes traveled to the person behind her from the water reflection. Her eyes widened as she turned around. His face was now close to hers, almost making contact with each other. Soon enough, she let out a loud yelp tumbling backwards.

She nearly fell into the river, but the person, fortunately, grabbed her hand in time before she could fall into the water. Instead, Heejin fell to the ground on her butt, leaving her pants dirty. He used his strength to lift her up from the ground by the hand.

"Thanks, Jeonghan." She wiped the dirt off her bottoms. She raised her head to look at him. Jeonghan curled up a teasing smile which only made the girl knit her eyebrows in confusion.

"Seungcheol told me to accompany you since you got lost in the forest." He used her head as an armrest, beginning to walk through the forest. Heejin wandered her eyes around the forest, curious if there were any cameras around, resulting in Seungcheol figuring out she was lost.

"There are cameras installed on the trees in case people encounter danger, somehow," Jeonghan explained. "Though, there were a lot of people doing weird stuff..." Heejin was silent, signaling him to go on.

"I'd rather not explain—"

"Goddamn it, it was getting good!"

Jeonghan's eyes widened. "You actually wanted to hear that story?" She nonchalantly shrugged, smiling. "It was intriguing." He only sighed in response. The two walked in silence for a short moment as the girl was searching for hints and the treasure

After a short while, she encountered a small hint sitting by a bush. It was a piece of paper stuck to the ground by a toy windmill. Heejin ripped the paper off before unfolding it. Her eyes were drawn to the paper in her hands.

"'It wanders as one is focused on the other.' What does that mean?" She furrowed her eyebrows. She turned her head to the other, standing next to her. Jeonghan exchanged eye contact with her before speaking. "What are you looking at me for?"

Heejin stepped a foot closer. "You know the answer, right? What does this mean?" She opened her mouth to speak again when the other pulled out his walkie-talkie. "Seungcheol, Heejin is trying to seduce me for answers!" He cried out into the walkie-talkie.

"That's not what I was trying to—"

"Yang Heejin, do not try to flirt with Jeonghan to find out where the treasure is." Seungcheol's voice echoed throughout the campsite from the big speakers installed near the cabins. Those speakers were used for sirens the majority of the time but were sometimes used for other reasons.

Jeonghan cracked a teasing grin before wrapping his arm around her shoulder. Heejin sent a glare at him. Though, she was hiding a wide grin. Her eyes skimmed through the small paper in her hands. The words didn't make sense to her.

"Wandering? Why would it wander around when it's— Wait..." She tried to bring all of her thoughts together into one.

"Perhaps, is the treasure not in one place?"

━━━━⊱ ⋆ ⟡ ⋆ ⊰━━━━

EPILOGUE

"Yang Heejin, don't try to flirt with Jeonghan to find out where the treasure is." Wooyoung and Yeosang's ears perked at Seungcheol's message throughout the campsite zone. The latter's eyes widened and frantically turned his head around to not see Heejin's presence with the two friends.

"Wooyoung? I thought you were holding onto her hand the whole time?" He asked. Wooyoung's mouth was agape as he tried to remember how she left. "Ah! Remember when we saw butterflies, and I was chasing after one causing you to run after me?" Yeosang nodded. "I think we might've left Heejin there..." He chuckled awkwardly. He rubbed his nape as the other was in disbelief.

Yeosang spoke under his breath. "And us being friends for 8 years still shocks me to this day..."

━━━━⊱ ⋆ ⟡ ⋆ ⊰━━━━

NCT 127 NEW ALBUM LETS GAUEE