스물 하나

chapter 21

brings back sm memories fr ^^

The school bus swiftly sped through plain crop fields where the farm animals resided. The bus drove through the rough sandy roads in the Korean countryside. The bustling bus was filled with loud voices chorusing together. A tiny whisper would be drowned by the voices washing over one's voice like an ocean wave.

They were soon going back to the school where the younger students would welcome them back to school with a small reunion. Heejin leaned her head against the glass window of the moving bus. No thoughts filled her head, spacing out as she sketched in her sketchbook.

She had no idea was she was sketching either.

Doodles of cats, eyes, eyebrows, and flowers slowly filled the empty canvas into something the girl had no idea of. To her left sat Jiwoong, gently grasping Heejin's camera and scrolling through the photos the girl had taken once again. Many new photos updated the camera roll. Some of them included the night sky with the twinkling stars, the crackling bonfire which once burnt the girl, candid photos of students, and Jiwoong.

His eyes focused on the pictures Heejin had taken of the boy himself. A wide smile plastered over his face as he laid his eyes on it longer. He could describe every feature seen in the picture by now. From allowing Heejin to take pictures of him at the lake, discovering the sketches of the boy, to the numerous pictures of him at the bonfire, he would've guessed the girl had some kind of interest in him if it weren't for his smooth brain.

As Heejin spaced out, staring into space, she could feel her eyelids starting to weigh down and her drowsiness overwhelming her. She thought, "Imagine one wink of an eye and suddenly we're back at school." Her eye lids fell closed, her eye lashes fluttering one last time until her eyes were closed shut.

Once her eyes were opened, her head slowly processed where she was at and indeed, she was already at the school. She rubbed her eyes, blinking multiple times to make sure her eyes were now focused. They shifted next to her where Jiwoong was sitting to see him almost hovering the girl. His hand was against the bus window making it look like he was pinning her against the wall.

Heejin looked around and saw students giving her a horrifying look. "Um, this position is kind of weird." She muttered. He looked around and indeed his classmates were giving him a strange look. His eyes slowly fell on where his friend group was. Everyone from the group gave him a teasing smile.

Heejin shook her head, sighing to herself. She clutched onto her backpack strap, standing up from her seat as her eyes gazed at the outside view of the school. "Let's just get off the bus." She told Jiwoong. The two were the last people to walk out of the bus before it drove away. Once she stepped out, she was met with a big embrace from Yujin.

"I missed you so much!" His arms tightened around the girl's waist as he jumped in happiness. The girl grinned widely at the younger's excitement. She returned the hug to him before speaking. "There's so much I have to tell you." She said.

━━━━⊱ ⋆ ⟡ ⋆ ⊰━━━━

1 MONTH LATER

Much time has passed after camp. Many things occurred during the short time span. To begin with, the Monsoon season had finally begun meaning that continuous heavy rainfalls would occur. To Heejin, it was a pain in the butt. During the first few days of the Monsoon season, she forgot her umbrella, causing her to run in the rain to her bus stop.

What's next was that Gunwook was in a relationship that lasted a week long. The entire friend group was surprised Gunwook was the first to be in a relationship, no offense. It only lasted a week so it wasn't too sad when discovering they both broke up. Nobody knows why Gunwook and his former partner were in a relationship.

Haerin and Matthew had gotten closer to each other than before. After finding out Matthew had big spooned Haerin because of the boy himself, he received continuous teasing from all of his friends but especially Hanbin and Jiwoong.

Finally, Jiwoong's smooth brain was slowly becoming bumpier when figuring out Heejin had some type of interest in him. Slowly, he developed an interest in the girl as well. However, the boy was clueless if he had a crush on her or not. He'd be lying if he said he had completely moved on from his past relationship with Hayoung.

He was quite unsure if he wanted to tell anyone about it as he was worried about the other's reactions to it.

It took him a bit to think about his situation, and he had a solution. A bad solution, actually. Back to the present, he had asked Heejin to meet him behind the school. Time passed and school ended.

Heejin strolled all the way to the field behind the school where her eyes caught Jiwoong sitting on the bleachers, stressed. She jogged to him before giving him a slap on his head. His head a thrown forward by force a bit, but still smiled when seeing the girl in front of him. He used his hand to pat the empty seat next to him, gesturing for her to sit down.

And so the girl sat. She placed her backpack next to her in the empty space, turning her head towards the boy. They both made close eye contact with each other. Heejin felt warmth rushing through her body as she was beginning to blush at the sudden close contact. Jiwoong curled up a small smile, taking her hand that was resting on the bench seats. He caressed it slowly before shifting his eyes back up at her again. His mouth opened as he spoke gently to the girl.

"I like you."

━━━━⊱ ⋆ ⟡ ⋆ ⊰━━━━

we live we love we lie