☾ 1

I sighed as I walked down the street with Jamal walking beside me. "Is Harper still following us in that ugly ass, bright yellow, obvious hybrid," I asked him. He chuckled as he glanced back to see if the yellow hybrid was still slowly creeping behind us. If Athena really wanted to spy on me then she could of at least hired a professional. Harper had been following me all day and I knew Athena had put her up to it.

I had been in Chicago for three months straight and she thought I was cheating. The main thing I wanted to do was to go back to Florida and actually spend time with my wife, kids and the rest of my family. Athena claims I've been distant since my grandmother passed away, but what she didn't know was that a few days after my grandmother's funeral, dozens of my gang members were gunned down. Chicago was where I needed to be if I didn't want the cartel to come crashing down.

I will be turning thirty soon. In the drug game, that's when you're at your prime. You're still young but now you have a solid foundation and maturity. This was the age that most drug pins made doubled what they had been making, due to smart advancements. I couldn't let my crew think that I was weak. It'd look horrible if I was chilling in Florida with my family, while my people got gunned down.

Luckily, my alliance with King was still strong. A gang that ran the north end of Chicago heard that I was in and out of the city, so they tried to take the east from me. With King's help, we pushed them back to the north in a matter of months. Now, it was time to go back home. Tomorrow was Athena's thirtieth birthday. She probably thought I forgot, but I was going to fly in, in the morning and surprise her.

She hadn't called me in a week, so I haven't really heard from her since then. Thankfully, Jamal wasn't in the doghouse with Noa so she let me know that everything was going good back in Florida. She also let me know that my marriage was on a thin string, but it didn't take a scientist to know that. I couldn't blame Athena. I was never home and she had to worry about me getting killed every day. But this time when I went back to Florida, I was going to make things right.

The summer was here and the kids would be out of school. Jett influenced me to take my family on a road trip. From my kids to Athena's siblings, to Noa and the rest of our friends. It would be a bonding experience. Jett thought it'd be cool if we just drove somewhere far and stayed for a few days, but I didn't like that. I decided that we might as well travel the whole United States. Stopping in a random city or town in every state for a few, just to admire it's culture. Sure, we probably wouldn't be able to travel to all fifty states but it was worth a try. It could strengthen my marriage and my fading relationship with Athena.

"Damn, she really thinks we can't see her. It's about eighty five degrees outside and this bitch is wearing a scarf. An ugly one at that. Shit looks like she stole it out of a casket of a person who died in the '40s." I chuckled and shook my head as I looked ahead at the crowded street. Since everything was good, and safe for the most part now, Jamal and I decided to get some good-fashioned Chicagoan hotdogs before we packed and boarded our flight to Florida. Charlie, Jett and Phoenix decided they'd rather have pizza so we went our separate ways for a few.

"If she follows us in here, man, then I'm just going to let her know that she's busted," I told Jamal as I entered the restaurant. We ordered our hotdogs and sat across from each other once we finally got our order. "So, how do you get Noa to trust you? Athena swears out I'm cheating. "Haven't you? Every few weeks that you bump into Emily, your bitch ass slips up. She doesn't trust you because you're not trustworthy. Look at your hand. You're not even wearing your wedding band," Jamal pointed out as he ate obnoxiously. "See, Noa is the only girl that I need. She's everything and I'm glad I got her after her and Rico broke up before someone else did. During our summer road trip, I'm going to put a Blaxican baby in her." Jamal smiled at the thought of having a child with Noa. Too bad Noa didn't want any kids. He might could convince her like I convinced Athena, although.