☾ 25

Three days had passed since the shootout at the restaurant and the plan to ambush Gert and her crew was still underway. We were making progress but not as much as we wished. As we gathered a game plan, Gert was working in the shadows. Each day something new happened. The first day after the shootout, there was a note found slid under my house door.

In the morning, one of my crew members found it. The message was short and simple. Just six little words sent me over the edge.

Soon, your wife will be mine.

As soon as I got the news, I wanted to get in a car and go blow her f-cking brains out but I knew I couldn't. It wouldn't be that simple. Gert had people protecting her just like I had people protecting me. In response to the letter, I decided to stay silent. I couldn't let her know what was coming towards her. When we ambushed her, I wanted her to be surprised. I wanted to see her eyes open wide with shock before she closed them for eternity.

The second day after the shootout, there was a mishap in one of the hoods that my crew controlled. Another crew that we had an alliance with rolled up with their guns in tote. Gert had made up some nonsense and told them that I was back in town to destroy their crew. The mishap caused a lot of yelling between my people and theirs. My crew tried to distress the situation but it ended in gunfire. A few people were killed on both sides before the other crew finally decided to listen.

We lost some members, but we got somewhat lucky. Gert had tricked the other crew so they wanted to team up with us to end her madness. Therefore, we had strengthened in numbers.

The third day, we captured one of Gert's guys. Jett was scoping out Gert's secret little hideout and decided to follow one of her members. She snatched him up and then brought him back to my place. Most of the crew was already at my place since it was basically deemed the main headquarters. They tortured the dude in all types of ways until he confessed something. He was a stubborn little sh-t, but he gave us a tad bit of information. Gert was flying out somewhere. We didn't know where or why, but he said he thought it was family related. One of the members in the crew blasted him as soon as he confessed something, and I went back to the drawing board.

If Gert was going out of town for a family emergency or just for family in general, she was to be gone for at least a day or two. Being with her family would cease her from plotting for the few precious hours that we needed. We finally had an advantage. Gert's crew was all alone without any type of leader to control them. With that information known, I sent about ten of my guys to go and shoot up her hideout. About seven came back, it was a success but unfortunately not even half of her crew was there.

Then it was the fourth day, today. I sat at my desk and stared at a picture of my family. It was one of the happy pictures that we've taken. Back when Aspen was only a year old and Maddox was five. That day we were at the beach. It was the first time that Athena had the courage to put on a bathing suit since she was pregnant. After giving birth to Aspen, she had insecurity problems for what reasons I couldn't understand because she looked hell of hot in a bikini.

In the picture, I had Maddox thrown over my shoulder but he was still smiling at the camera. My arm was around Athena's hip as Aspen clung onto her leg adorably. It was my favorite picture of us and if I looked at it heard enough, I swore I could feel the breeze from the ocean or the sound of the waves. "I'm coming home soon," I told the photo quietly. "And I'm going to make things better."

My phone buzzed against my desk harshly and I looked at the screen. Jamal was calling me, probably checking up on how well things were going in Chicago. Even though he was still in Florida, he texted me constantly to get new details on what was going on and to make sure I was safe. "What's up," I answered the phone casually as I continued to stare at the photo.