☾ 19

I stood outside for a few minutes, thinking over my options. Either way I was going to be f-cked. No matter what I was going to end up being disloyal to someone. Franco was basically like my father, but well, I had a legit family now. I had a wife. Kids. In-laws. It was way more complicated to just drop everything and go help him protect everyone in the crew.

Mumbling a few curse words under my breath, I looked back towards my family inside of the restaurant. They were way too valuable to leave again. I couldn't risk losing them. I had just truly got them back and there was no way I was going to abandon them again.

My phone vibrating in my pocket, kicked me out of my thoughts. I groaned, not sure that I really wanted to talk to anyone. There was just too much on my mind to indulge myself in a proper conversation. After taking the phone out of my pocket, I looked at the screen. Sh-t. It was Franco. I guess the least I could do was tell him what they were about to be up against. Even if I didn't go to Chicago, I could at least let Giovanni and Franco know what was going down. I answered the phone and was accompanied by heavy breathing. "Franco?"

"Kid! Sh-t!"

"Is everything okay!?" I could hear yelling in the background. It sounded like Franco was standing right in the middle of a riot. Instantly, I began to worry. He seemed frantic and so did the people in the background. Something major had happened and I wasn't sure that I really wanted to know what. Franco was quiet on the other end but the voices in the background were still as loud as ever. "Franco?"

"Everyone just shut the hell up," he yelled to the top of his lungs. His voice boomed and echoed all throughout wherever he was at. Gradually, the noise simmered down until all I could hear was the man on the other end. It was like everyone just disappeared, or either shut the f-ck up like he had asked them. "Kid, trust me, I really hate to tell you this and I hate even worse to ask you this. I know you have a family. You have a wife and kids. I understand that, but don't forget who your original family is, okay? Don't forget who got you to where you are now." I swallowed hard in anticipation of what Franco was about to ask me. The question was pretty obvious and I dreaded to hear it.

"Giovanni just got shot. We're at his place. We were having a good time, you know? He wanted everyone to come over, he had tens of cooks on the grill so there was plenty of food. It was supposed to be a very chill and violent free event, but some unknown guys caught us off guard. It was five of them and I knew they looked sketchy when I first saw them but I didn't say a word. I should've said something but I didn't. They walked up on him and shot him as if it was nothing as he was eating. We got them. It was almost like a suicide mission for them, but Kai, Giovanni is dead."

I nearly dropped my phone from the sudden news. The last thing I wanted to hear was that Giovanni was killed. I had so much hope for him. I just knew that he'd be able to take up for my position but obviously he couldn't. Swallowing hard, I held my phone tightly. I knew it was no one but Gert and the little crew that she had gathered up. "Well, who the f-ck was watching him!? There should always be an eye on the boss at all times! Were you all too busy eating to see five guys surround him and pull out there guns!?"

"It all happened so fast, kid! We were just having a good time. No one expected that! We haven't had a solid enemy for so long, but now we apparently do! We searched the body of the guys and found nothing significant though." I balled up my fist in frustration. Giovanni was so young and now he was dead just because someone couldn't keep a f-cking eye on him! "I know you're probably mad, Kai. It was everyone's fault for not looking over the boss, but now we need a new one. To be more exact, we need you. We need you to come back to Chicago.

"Why should I come back? You guys couldn't even protect, Giovanni!"

"Kai, don't you want to avenge his death?"