Chapter 1

L/n, Y/n, your average man. He woke up, meandered through his morning routine, trekked to work, came home, slept, rinse and repeat. Life replayed mundanely like a bland life-long video of Chaewon's Catallena dance. Except, there was one part to it. Like the audio that comes with Chaewon's stage, something pulled him into the next replay without fail.

The group IZ*ONE tugged his heart every day, never resting. He loved Hyewon and Chaewon to the moon and back. He appreciated the other member as well, but the aforementioned members stood out the most.

God these women are going to be the death of me...

Y/n set he phone down, raising his empty hand to the ceiling. The pale moonlight that seeped into his room gave him enough light to remind himself that he still existed.

It revealed the posters he hung from the albums he scrounged money for, the girl's timeless expressions seemingly captured within the flat plane.

A chill brushed against his covers from the droning AC, stirring the stagnant air that weighed on his chest. As if he removed the rose-tinted goggles off his life, the reality of his life crashed back in like an unforgiving wave.

Not a single person cared about the lone man in his eyes. His parents left to the states shortly after he moved out, the rest of his family never came in close contact with him, his friends distanced themselves from him, and nothing meaningful ever happened at his job.

If only I had some sort of connection to them.

The frown weighed at of Y/n's mouth slowly faded as he drifted. A faint red hue strung across his muffled vision, drawing his attention momentarily before a sudden force of vertigo slammed into him like a brick wall.

"I'm so tired..."

Hyewon plopped onto her bed, sighing her exhaustion and worries out like a chimney. Only a few weeks separated her and the group's upcoming concert, yet doubt still prodded at the back of her mind. She questioned if she could live up to her fans' views of her.

The Hyewon who stood in front of the practice room mirrors resembled nothing like the Hyewon who stood on stage. Uncertainty filled each step, slowly throwing her off tempo, sending the woman into a downward spiral of self loathe.

Fear of the internet tearing her apart forced Hyewon to put on a façade for the stage. She put a faux confidence into her movements and forced the notes through her throat in hopes that her beloved supporters wouldn't turn on her.

After spending time with her talented peers, Hyewon felt an unbearable sense of guilt push against her chest. It dulled the sparkling world she so desperately wanted a taste of, preventing her from going all-out like she planned.

Why did I have to rig the competition...? If I weren't here, maybe the group would be way more popular. I don't deserve to be here anyway.

Though esoteric to most, Hyewon revealed her secret to Eunbi. She poured tears as she told the leader about her regret, but received nothing but support. There wasn't a shadow of doubt that Eunbi felt angry toward the woman for what she had done, but after giving it time, she moved on.

At least it was only me.

Hyewon sighed. She put on her façade of happiness once more before sitting up.

I wonder if I can get someone to bring me food.

She listened carefully for passing footsteps, grinning as Yuri's hums approached her door.

"Yuri ya-!!"

Hyewon jumped in her spot as a solid thud hit the carpet. She glanced toward the source with trepidation in her breath. On the floor, Y/n laid unconscious. His light breaths and closed eyes gave her the impression he was asleep, but all of her instincts told her otherwise.

"Eunbi unnie!!" Hyewon rushed from her bed, pacing toward her door as fast as she could. "Eunbi unnie-"

Hyewon froze just out of reach of the door, sprouting a mote of panic in her heart. She turned back expecting the man to have his hand on her wrist, yet he laid unbothered.

Huh? Why can't I move?! It feels like I'm being tugged by my...

A thin coral-colored string ran from the back of Hyewon's hand to the back of Y/n's. It sagged when she moved her hand closer to him, and tensed when she pulled.

What is this red string?? Am I attached to him??? What is going on?!?!

Hyewon crept next to Y/n, examining his hand. She wrapped her hand around the string, but when she pulled, it moved through her hand.

"You called?"

Eunbi jolted back, eyeing the unconscious man in front of Hyewon. She frantically scanned both sides of the hallway before closing the door.

"Who is this?" she questioned. "Did you sneak someone in here??"

Hyewon vigorously shook her head, "No!! I don't know who he is! He just fell here- Can you see the red string connecting us??"

"Red string...?" Eunbi furrowed her eyebrows, tilting her head in disbelief. "What are you saying?"

"I'm not lying, Unnie!" Hyewon whined.

Eunbi examined Y/n cautiously, sighing, "He's out cold. Go get me some water."

"Ah..." Hyewon trailed, "I can't..."

"What do you mean you can't?" Eunbi questioned.

Hyewon stood upright, eyeing the older woman as she walked toward the door. Upon coming to a halt, she pursed her lips prompting Eunbi to blink in confusion.

"Try pushing me," Hyewon proposed.

Reluctantly, Eunbi stood up with a sigh. She pushed on Hyewon's shoulder, furrowing her eyebrows as the woman didn't budge. Push after push, Eunbi cradled Hyewon in her arms before taking a step forward. Yet, she couldn't.

"This is what I was talking about," Hyewon said, waving her left hand.

Eunbi raised her eyebrows, "Really...?"

Hyewon nodded with a hint of amusement pushing her mouth into a grin. Eunbi rolled her eyes in response to the younger's 'I told you so' grin, setting Hyewon down with a sigh. Her eyes darted to Y/n as he shifted and groaned.

"Ya. He's waking up."

Hyewon flinched, gasping, "He's what?! What do we do??"

"Well," Eunbi sighed, "I guess we can ask him what he's doing here."

"You do it." Hyewon hid behind the shorter woman, nudging her forward.

"Okay, okay..."