four. destiny has awaken

004

004.    destiny had awaken

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━  

GAIUS WAS LEANING OVER EWAN as Teddy held a damp cloth against the knight's forehead. Teddy had explained to Gaius what she'd seen on Ewan's neck and she had a feeling that Valiant had something to do with this.

"How is he?" Merlin asked, approaching the two physicians.

"Look at this," Teddy tilted Ewan's head to show his neck. "This is what I saw at the grounds." There on his healthy body was two perfect puncture marks.

"See them, Merlin?" Gaius pointed to them. "It looks like a snakebite."

Merlin's face turned into confusion. "But how could he have been bitten by a snake? He was injured in a sword fight."

Teddy shook her head. "But yet all of his symptoms are consistent with poisoning: slow pulse, fever, paralysis."

Merlin looked at the two. "Can you heal him?"

Gaius walked over to where he kept his supplies. "Well, if it is snakebite-"

"Which is most certainly is." Teddy cut the old man off.

"I'll have to extract venom from the snake that bit him to make an antidote." Gaius gave the girl a warning look as he finished his sentence.

"What happens if he doesn't get the antidote?"

Gaius shared a look with his apprentice. A glum and sorrow look. "Then there is nothing more we can do for him." His tone was flat.

"Sir Ewan will die." Teddy ended.

She adjusted the cloth on Ewan's forehead and took a step away from the knight. She let out a deep breathe, placing her hands on her hips as Merlin offered her a small smile. Merlin looked down at Sir Ewan, a realization coming to him. "He was fighting Knight Valiant."

"What was that?" Gaius asked, not looking up.

Merlin told the old man it was nothing but he looked up to Teddy. The girl was beyond confused as Merlin dragged her by the arm and out of the room.

Merlin ran down the halls, all whilst dragging Teddy, until they got to the place where all the knights from the tournament would be staying. And Merlin led them to Valiant's room. The knight striding into his room with a shield in his hand.

Once he was out if sight, Merlin crept around the corner and slowly walked towards the door. Teddy followed behind. Merlin pushed the door open slightly as they saw the knight open a small chest. A sound a squeaking came out of the chest. He brought the mouse up to the shield as the snakes came alive.