8| BAD DAYS

─────❝8| BAD DAYS❞─────

Truck eighty-one was in the apparatus floor playing some basketball together, when a man and a videographer came in, interrupting

"My name is Marc Thorne. I'm here to talk to Chief Wallace Boden. Is he here?"

Like magic, Chief Boden appeared, b-lining straight for Marc. "I'm verry sorry for your loss, Mr. Thorne." The Chief gave him a firm handshake before turning away to go back inside.

"Chief Boden!" The man called, making the Chief turn around. "You knew my brother was in that warehouse."

"Did you?" Herrmann's voice came from the back, looking directly at the man. "The guy was homeless, keeping warm in a warehouse. You're his brother. Where have you been?"

"Herrmann, come on." Mills tried to interrupt but Herrmann waved him off.

"No, sorry, I'm not gonna be quiet. 'Cause a few weeks ago, I almost bought the farm, trying to save a stranger. It's what we do, everyday." Jo watched him, a stoic expression on her ace but inside she felt proud, proud of Herrmann for laying it how it is, as real as possible for the people in the ciry. "It's what we tried to do for your brother. Chief Boden made the call he had to make. Just be lad you never have to do that."

It's been about and hour since the altercation when Gabby and Shay appeared with a box of cupcakes for Herrmann. Jo eyed one from her spot and sent Herrmann a look saying that one of hers.

"So, I'm gonna throw out a name," Gabby started, "Clarice Carthage."

Sounds of disapproval sounded in the break room, no one looking from their activities. "Ew." Jo said, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Who?"

"The bitchy ex-girlfriend," Cruz answered Mills question,

Shay turned around with a cup in her hand, looking at her friends. "She wasn't a bitch, per se."

Jo stole a grape from Matt's plate, popping it in her mouth. "She was a little full of herself." He finished, slapping his best friend's hand away from his food.

"Well, she's got a new status update. She's now Clarice Schwartz, married to a dude, and seven months pregnant."

Jo's mouth dropped at the information, her head turning to stare at Shay, who was simply rolling her eyes at her friends enthusiasm. Before she could say anything else, her phone beeped. It was Frank calling her. Weird.

"Hey, Papa, what's up?"

She heard a sigh on the other side of the line. "Want to tell me why I a receiving angry voicemails from your family?"

Jo saw red. They didn't stop at her, now they're calling Frank and bothering him. All because she doesn't want to talk to them. "Jesus Christ, I'm going do punch someone. Just ignore them, like I've been doing."

"That is what I'm doing, I just wanted to let you know, kiddo."

———

Gabby and Jo entered the bunk area, finding Shay looking at a piece of paper and typing on her phone. "Leslie Elizabeth Shay."

Like a kid found taking a cookie out of the cookie jar, Shay froze and let out a small 'what' to her friends. She turned around almost sheepishly and stared at them. "It's—it's not a big deal."

Gabby scoffed. "No, it is. And I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna pretend like I don't remember us peeling you off the floor after that woman broke your heart."

As harsh as it was, it was the truth. Clarice really did a number on Shay and Gabby and Jo were there for her every step of the way, even during their though times. "Les, she is married now, taken, unattainable. I'm sorry for being too rough on you, baby."

"I know." She sighed. "I just wanted my records back."

Gabby sighed, "I'll buy you a new set, I promise."

After what felt like an eternity, Jo finally packed her bags to get to the shop for her shift that day. She found Matt sitting on th bench in front od her locker with a bag that resembled her gym back that was stolen.

"How did you find it?"

Matt sighed. "Detective Voight showed up here, tried to bribe me with a wad of cash."

Jo sat down beside him and looked around. "What? We gotta call Dawson's brother and tell him. Right now."

Matt shook his head. "I'm just gonna testify and let the courts handle it."

Jo sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Smart. What did Hallie say?" Matt stayed silent at her words. That was confirmation for the brunette to know that her best friend didn't tell his girlfriend. "You idiot!" she smacked the back of his head. "I know you don't want to worry her but you gotta tell her, just in case."

———

When the first stars appeared in the sky Joanna Parsons didn't have the energy to work anymore. She let her tools on her belt and hung it on her locker before she made her way to her car. She felt someone was watching her and lifted her eyes from her phone, and stared ahead. A tall figure was standing under a streetlight, simply looking at her and when he noticed she saw him, he left, blending with the shadows.

She shrugged and texted Bianca to tell her she was leaving her job just in case. Before she could enter her car, she saw that the tires where slashed, jus like Matt's a few days ago. Her heart rate picked up and she dialed his number.

"Hey, Voight did it to me, too."