1| TENSION RISING

─────❝1| TENSION RISING❞─────

One month. It's been one month since they lost Andy Darden at that house fire. Walking into firehouse fifty-one and not seeing his face, or hearing his voice and laughter was the strangest thing Jo has experienced in a while. And to make it worse, the Lieutenants were at odds with each other, which makes everyone be odd against each other.

Jo knew firsthand what it felt to lose someone due to this line of duty. Her uncle, whom she was really close with, lost his life during a call twelve years ago when Jo was merely fourteen years old. Uncle Cole was her hero and she will always miss him, and she feels like she's always honoring him when on duty.

Things haven't settled down at the house, and breakfast was met with a tense atmosphere coming from every member of the house. Jo usually sat at the long table, scrolling through her email, mostly from her side job at the mechanic shop owned by Frank Polo, whom she's known since she was ten.

As usual, Christopher Herrmann was trying to cook something for them, but none of the people there knew how to decently cook. On the contrary, Jo was skilled in that area, but she didn't want to be stuck with cooking for these men, so she faked her horrible cooking.

"Otis, what happened to your tour?" Matt Casey, the Lieutenant for Truck eighty-one, asked.

The man, Otis, pointed behind him to express his answer. "Our new candidate." Jo glanced from her phone up to Matt with furrowed eyebrows. Did they all forget the new candidate was supposed to arrive that day?

Matt walks out to observe the new guy give the tour as Jo takes another bite of her apple. She couldn't finish the fruit as the alarm started to wail and the voice sounded from the P.A. "Pin-in accident. Columbus Drive Bridge. Ambulance sixty-one, engine fifty-one, truck eighty-one. Squad three, battalion twenty-five."

Jo shot up from her chair, discarding her breakfast and quickly picking her equipment up before entering the truck. "Let's go, let's go!" Cruz called as the newbie, Peter Mills, was running to them. The truck drove along the streets of Chicago, the siren wailing as they went by.

"Mills, shadow Mouch. Walk with a purpose, but don't run. Take it all in, know the details of the situation before you act," Casey ordered the candidate, giving him advice as he went by. "Oh, and Mills, don't be a crow."

Jo rolled her eyes at his statement as the truck arrived at the scene. They got out, putting their helmets on, and assessing the situation, as Casey loves to say. There were two cars crashed against each other, with smoke coming from them. "Cruz, grab the saw!"

While most of Squad and Casey were handling the passengers of the red car, Jo and the rest of truck eighty-one were handling the situation of the leaking fuel and the other car. "Oh shh- he's in the water," Mouch said, low enough that only Jo heard him. Her eyes widened, as she saw the broken windshield and no driver in sight.