2| FALLING

─────❝2| FALLING❞─────

"Yo, Peter Mills! My partner, Shay, she's been asking about you

"Yo, Peter Mills! My partner, Shay, she's been asking about you. Been talking about you all morning." Busting the balls of the candidate was the firefighters' favorite hobby, and with a fresh new one, it was more than pleasing for them. Jo admired Dawson for the way she managed to rope Mills into thinking about taking his shot with Leslie Shay.

"I heard she's a monster. Dude I know over at nineteen, he walked with a hitch for a week." Jo almost burst out laughing when Otis decided to play along with Gabriela Dawson's words. Mills was hesitant to listen to their words, getting up with a hose he was rolling.

"Ah, you guys are busting my balls."

"Listen to me kid. I just lost my house to foreclosure because I took a bath in the market." That was a story Jo couldn't wait to hear from Christopher Herrmann. "We're now living with my in-laws, which is two bedrooms shy of unpleasant. My wife won't take her birth control because the Pope said if she did, God would cry, so I'm not having any sex." Herrmann's life was a rollercoaster. "So if there's any chance that I could live vicariously through you, it's literally all I got."

Somehow, Herrmann's speech got to Peter Mills, who confidently strode to the ambulance where Shay was doing inventory. Jo leaned against the table, watching the scene in front of her unfold in amusement. This is exactly what they needed.

"Peter Mills, are you gay?" Leslie Shay asked, looking back to the firefighters and paramedic watching them intently.

"Me? No." It was not a tone of offense, more of confusion as to why she would ask him that question.

"Because I am."

The group started to chuckle before it turning into a fit of giggles, as Peter Mills turned around slowly, sending daggers to them.

"Dawson. Shay. Which one of you put a needle in the girl's heart?" Chief Boden's voice stopped their joy time and they got serious as the two paramedics looked at each other.

The group gravitated back to the common room, where they always have their food, sitting around waiting for something to happen. "How long were you a candidate here?" Mills asked Otis, who was busy reading a newspaper.

"Not long, four years."

Jo was busy with reading some emails from her boss at the mechanic shop that she didn't hear the rest of the conversation nor paid attention to any other that was taking place. She was only snapped back to reality at the delicious smell of fresh food that Matthew Casey was just pulling out.

"I love that smell," Jo said, standing up to go serve herself some food. Matt sent her a small smile at the compliment and winked at her. She filled her plate with Matt's tasty delicacies and went back to the long table to have her food.