3| NEWS

─────❝3| NEWS❞─────

Usually, when Jo arrived late to her shift, there was no problem

Usually, when Jo arrived late to her shift, there was no problem. But today was not one of those days. She ran as fast as she could to the locker and threw her stuff inside and sprinted out to the apparatus floor just as the alarm blared and truck eighty-one were called into action.

They arrived at the address, and a middle-aged woman was screaming at the top of her lungs to the people standing around the house. The house was full of smoke, some even coming out of the opened windows.

"Smells like a grease fire," Casey said as soon as he got a good look and whiff of the smell.

"We'll bring the ansuls," Vargas said, going back to the truck.

"Up on the roof, ready to vent, just in case." Mills nodded as Casey gestured for Otis, Jo, Vargas, and Cruz to follow him.

They entered the alley that lead to the front door of the house, Matt kicking it down for them to make their way inside. Once inside, there was a man standing in front of the fire, that started in the kitchen on the stove, looking horrified about it. "Sir, you gotta move out of here." Matt had to forcibly remove the man so they could put out the fire.

"Ugh, that's it?" Cruz complained as he fired up the fire extinguisher. "Anything to piss off the engine."

Once the fire was out, Matt turned to the man responsible. "Come on, buddy, you gotta go."

The man didn't move from his spot. "I can't."

Matt raised an eyebrow at the man in urgency. "I'm not asking." The man looked up at him with a fearful expression on his face.

"A hot plate caught on fire. My landlord'll kill me. I got no place to go." Casey went to help him up, but the man resisted. "I can't go! I can't. I can't"

After figuring out a way for the man to be safe, truck eighty-one walked outside with a coughing man with them. "Ma'am, is this your place?" Casey asked the screaming woman from before.

"You're damn right it is," the woman said, matter of factly.

"That your microwave down in the basement?" He asked again.

"Oh, what of it?" This time she was the one questioning him. Jo passed him, patting him on the shoulder in sense of good luck to deal with the woman.

"Frayed electric cord that started this. Place would've burned to the ground if not for this man. He's a hero." The woman looked at the man with surprise, but a hint of worry on her face. Otis walked forward, shaking the man's hand to continue with the act.

Jo was putting away some of the equipment when Severide's angry voice boomed through the site. "Hey! Candidate! One hand on the beam, candidate!" Peter Mills looked at him almost afraid of him. "I don't care if you're carrying a damn cow! Men die when they relax."