9| MORE BAD NEWS

─────❝9| MORE BAD NEWS❞─────

"Hey, we haven't had the time to talk about what I called you the other day

"Hey, we haven't had the time to talk about what I called you the other day." Jo jogged to stand beside Matt and tried to start a conversation with him about the harassment they were facing. Every time Jo started talking about it, Matt shut her down, but this time she was going to make him talk.

"I talked to Voight, alright."

"Yeah, and it did nothing. Maybe get you on his even worse side but Matt seriously, I don't like this." Matt sighed. He hated how involved Jo was in everything, he didn't even know why Voight was going after his best friend but it irritated him to no end. This was between him and Voight, the cop didn't have to bring the people he loves into this.

"Let me worry about this, okay? I want you safe." He placed a hand on her cheek, looking into her eyes. They stared at each other, having an understanding of this.

"Casey, Parsons. Come with me," Chief Boden called for the pair, guiding them to a room full of higher-ups and important people.

"These allegations are unfounded," the chief said once they were inside Boden's office.

"Unfounded? I'm sorry Chief Grogan, this has got Voight's name written all over it," Boden defended, not liking the way things were being handled.

"There are no witnesses that Detective Voight was anywhere but on the job Halloween night. Do you know how many tires got slashed that day?"

Jo's eye twitched at the stupidity of the man speaking. Okay maybe they didn't really have proof, but come on anyone can see that it was Hank Voight the one that was harassing Matt and Jo.

"Fifteen years he worked gang unit. You don't think he's got a few locals who can do his dirty work?" Jo made a small motion, pointing to Chief Boden, agreeing with him.

Chief Gorgan started again, "and that is exactly why we have internal affairs and the A.S.A.'s office investigating. But I gotta tell you, without a direct link, what do you suggest we do, Chief Boden?"

"I suggest you handle your precinct." Jo's mouth opened, loving the cold stare Boden was giving the police chief.

"Wait just a damn minute."

"My lieutenant, his fiancé and my firefighter are being harassed. Don't tell me to wait."

The two chiefs held their eyes, sending glares at each other, waiting for one of them to back down, which everyone in that room knew it was never going to happen.

"Forget it, chief. CPD isn't gonna help. I'll do it my own way."

"Matt, hey, no." Jo stood up from the couch and went to his side. Matt looked at her, his eyes brimming with tears of desperation.

"Give me a better alternative."

No one said anything.

"Anything? Something?" Jo almost pleaded. She too was desperate to have all of that end.

Then, Gabby's brother, Antonio spoke up. "I'll be the primary," his bosses looked at him. "I.A., A.S.A., they got fish frying all over the city. I'll take the lead on this."

———

Jo ran inside the hospital as fast as she could after receiving the panicked phone call from Hallie. She said Matt just came to the ER with bruises and in pain. That was enough for Jo to drop her tools and leave the shop to go to Lakeshore.

"No cracked ribs," she heard Hallie say as she entered the room. "You're next in line for the CT scan."

"Matt!" Jo called, going to his side and caressing his hair. "I was about to throw up when Hallie called me." Matt sent her a smile in appreciation. He could always count on Jo to make him smile even in the worst situations.

"Will you sit up for me?" With some groaning, and a little help from Jo, Matt managed to sit up and that's when Jo could really inspect his bruises. His chest, his torso, que side, que back, and even his elbows were scattered with red and green bruises, which were slowly turning purplish. Jo wanted to cry for her best friend.

"I need you to take some deep breaths, okay."

From the corner of her eye, Jo saw some of her firehouse family walking in, although they respected their privacy to just stand outside until Matt was ready to see them. The only one that did come inside was the chief.

"Casey, how are you?"

Matt couldn't answer him, he just laid back in pain and closed his eyes. The chief looked to the brunette but she could just shake her head. She knew he wasn't okay.

"No faces for these guys? Markings? Anything distinguishable?" Antonio asked, looking down at his notepad.

Matt thought for a second before turning to him. "One of them had a tattoo. Forearm."

"Left? Right?"

"Left." Matt then sighed. "Oh god. Maybe right."

"Think."

The pressure from the detective got to him and he yelled, "I am thinking!" Jo placed a calming hand on his shoulder, trying to slow his breathing so his bruises didn't hurt more than they already did.

"Alright, rest for a few," Antonio said and then he exited the room, leaving Matt, Boden, and Jo inside.

Jo knows Matt is frustrated, hell she is frustrated. Voight can be planning what to do to her next and that scared the crap out of her. Matt punched the bed twice with the hand that had the ice packet before throwing his head back on the pillow.

"Matt. Matt. Believe me, I know what you're going through, and I know what you're thinking. But we're gonna figure out how to do this the right way. Do you hear me?" He nodded, and that's all Boden needed before he left the cubicle and went to talk to Antonio.

Jo sighed once they were alone again. "I—I think Chief Boden is right, Matt."

"I'm not gonna sit back and take it," he counterattacked.

"Now boy don't you put word in my mouth. I'm not saying you should. But you really need to think," she caressed his hair, "one wrong decision, and you're the bad guy. And we know that's what Voight wants." Matt turned around and looked at her eyes directly, sending her a forced smile. "Please promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise."