5| THE UNLUCKY CANDIDATE

─────❝5| THE UNLUCKY CANDIDATE❞─────

Having a day of no accidents was not uncommon, but it certainly was a blessing for firefighters

Having a day of no accidents was not uncommon, but it certainly was a blessing for firefighters. It meant that everyone in the city was safe and there was no need for their assistance. It was that relief that no danger was lurking in the shadows waiting to happen. Tonight was one of those blessings, or it was supposed to be until a certain candidate had to open his mouth.

Jo entered the common room to get herself some coffee, being awake and alert was something she always vowed to be during shift, when Mills entered too. "Two hours left in the shift and no calls yet. That happen very often?"

The mug came to a stop a couple of inches away from her lips as Jo's eyes widened. "He did not just say that," Herrmann whispered. There was a pregnant pause that was interrupted by the alarm blaring,

"Accident, truck eighty-one, squad three."

Jo's eyes twitched as she placed the cup down and ran past the candidate. "I hate you," she whispered to Mills as she left the room and climbed to the truck.

Cruz drove the truck, the sirens deafening as the cars made way for the firefighters to pass. "Mills. Pitcher's got a no-hitter going in the eighth inning. Do you go up to him and say, looks like you got a no-hitter going?" Casey asked as he adjusts his gloves.

"No, but-"

Before Mills could say more, Casey spoke again. "Don't do it at the damn firehouse either."

"Yeah, I got it." Jo stifled a laugh at Mills' defeated expression.

The scene of the accident was heartbreaking. A van was dangling upside down over the railing and a black car was what seemed to cause the accident by the way it was stationed.

Casey exited the truck and took a halligan tool. "Stabilize the van," he ordered as he went to take care of the black car. The rest of truck eighty-one, led by Herrmann, went to the can as their lieutenant's request.

"Anybody got ejected?" No response, but it seemed like everything was good and the passengers were inside the vehicle. "Vargas, see if we got a pulse over there," Herrmann said as he saw there were two people inside.

"Got one here!" was the answer.

They tried to stabilize the van, but it started shaking and moving back and forth, making their jobs harder. Jos took a hold of the bumper in an attempt to keep it from propelling down the highway. "She's going!"

"Hold it!" Jo yelled as she was pulled up and now just touching the floor with her tiptoes. "Hold it until squad gets here!" Hands started appearing from around her and she was finally able to touch the ground with her whole feet, meaning squad was here and the stabilization process was going to be easier.

"Give us ten more seconds, boys." Jo groaned. "And girl."

Herrmann chuckled through the straining. "You got eight!"