chapter 8

tw: charlotte cringe quidditch gf era??

charlotte woke up warm. very warm. she was never warm, so this was quite alarming. it either meant she was feverish, or that her room was on fire. she rolled over to check, not caring that it was too early for her to be doing anything. she bumped her head into something hard. she threw herself up into a sitting position and looked to see what she had hit her head on. laying in her bed, sleeping peacefully, was mattheo. his face looked much younger like this, smoothed out and content. with a sigh of relief, charlotte payed back down, next to him. she heard him mumble something next to her, and when she looked over to see what he needed, he just pulled her closer to him. she was wedged between mattheos body and the wall, and the warmth of him made her feel impossibly tired. she scooted closer to him, and let her eyes drift shut.

when she woke up for the second time, mattheo was already awake. he was propped up on his elbows, looking down at her from where she lays, curled up at his side. when he saw her looking, his face pulled up into a smile.

"hi," he said, still looking at her.
charlotte yawned and stretched her arms before saying, "hello."
mattheo laughed a little, "did you sleep good?"
charlotte felt her cheeks turn red at the question. she did sleep good. in fact, it was probably one of the best nights sleep she'd gotten in years. she'd felt so safe there with mattheo, so at ease, so peaceful. it was odd, they hadn't known eachother for very long, but still, she trusted him more than anyone at the moment. charlotte nodded, wanting him to know that she trusted him, that her night with him was perfect.

"charlotte," mattheo said, breaking the silence, "i have to tell you something."
"okay," charlotte said, feeling herself smile.
mattheo looked down at her and smiled, "you're my best friend, okay?" he whispered it, like it was a secret, just for them. she liked that, that it was just for them. she didn't want to share that with anyone else. just him. always just him.

she nodded, "okay, you're my best friend, too."
he raised his eyebrows and said, "really?"
charlotte rolled her eyes, "of course."
he laughed and reached forward to tickle her sides. charlotte rolled around in her sheets to try to avoid him, but as always, he caught up to her.

after they both were decent, they walked to breakfast together. mattheo was holding her hand tightly, and charlotte was swinging there hands as she excitedly talked about her plans for summer break. he kept looking down at her and smiling, and charlotte would look up at him and smile back. whatever they were doing this morning, she loved it, and she wanted to do it every morning.

the second they stepped inside the great hall with their hands joined, the hall was filled with whispers and glances at them. everyone seemed shocked at the pair making their way to the slytherin table, like the combination of mattheo riddle with charlotte black was something unnatural. to charlotte, they were the most natural thing in the world. she wasn't going to let go though, just because people were watching. she loved the way mattheos hand was firmly gripping hers, leading her to her spot at the table, which happened to be next to him. if people were watching, that was on them. she would hold mattheos hand if she wanted to, and she did.