part 18

tw: char lova girl era
mattheo woke up, clinging to charlottes cold, frail body. he loved when he woke up before her, which was often. he feared the day she had to leave, but he knew it was soon. she didn't live alone like him, she had family to get back to. he would have to give her back eventually. he held her hand, the thought of not being with her seeming so unbearable.

she woke up quickly after that, rolling over and yawning loudly. she squeezed his hand, looking at him with so much love in her eyes that it would've made him sick if he didn't love her just as much. she rolled out of their bed, taking his sheets with her as she went. he knew she was only going to her room, but the sight of her walking away from him made his heart clench unwillingly. he wanted to follow her, go with her, talk to her, but he knew that she needed space, time to herself. she gave him time alone, so it was only right to give her the same.

she came back in moments later, wearing light blue ripped jeans and a white tee shirt. she looked beautiful, he though. she always looked beautiful. he could go on for hours about her beauty. he could write songs and poetry about it, but nothing would ever be able to capture it. she was the most gorgeous girl he had ever met, and it would probably stay that way for the rest of his life. she sat on the couch in the corner of his room, looking at him questioningly before he moved to sit next to her.

"would you like to have lunch in the gardens today?" he asked, ending the pleasant silence that filled the room.
"is that a date?" she asked, grinning up at him.
he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and leaned in to kiss her.
"yes," he said smiling as he pulled away.
she pretended to think about it for a moment before smiling, "yeah, i would." she leaned in and kissed him one more time before going to get her shoes.

she came back wearing black sandals. she looked so perfect to him, in that moment, that he wished he could live in it forever. he took her hand and guided her down the stairs and out the door. their hands swung lightly between them, and his cheeks physically hurt from how big he was smiling. he wished he had known her sooner, that he hasn't wasted all that time hating her when really he probably loved her then, too. he loved her so abundantly, he was straight up enamored with her. he couldn't bear
to look away from her, and he didn't want to either.

when they reached the garden, Esmeralda had already set up a table filled with macarons, tarts, coffee cakes, and other deserts along with a delicious looking spring salad. he didn't know what he would do without Esmeralda, she had raised him since he was a baby, since his mother died, and he truly did love her like he would a mother. mattheo knew he would be lost without esmeralda, probably dead too, but in this moment, he had never felt more grateful for her.

"here," he said, pulling out charlottes chair for her. she smiled up at him as she sat, and watched as he did the same. they made their plates, and started to eat.

"did you know," charlotte started, "that my birthday is coming up?"
"no," he laughed, "when is it?"
"july 24," she answered smiling warmly. he loved how her eyes seemed to light up when she talked about things that excited her.
"christ," he said, "that's only like 3 weeks away, how will i pick you a gift in time?"
charlotte blushed, "i don't need a gift."
"well you're getting one." he stated, leaving no room for argument.
charlotte smiled and nodded, her cheeks tinted red.

he was in the middle of his second coffee cake when the rain started. charlotte looked up and laughed, almost like the sky was taunting them. mattheo felt himself smile, like he commonly did when charlotte was around, and he pushed his chair back to stand.

"i guess we should head back," he said, and seconds later, it started pouring. the sky was free of thunder, but the rain was coming down so heavily that it felt like a storm. he grabbed charlottes hand and pulled her up.
"we gotta run char," he said looking up at the clouds, "i think it's gonna start storming."
she looked upset, gazing down at her shoes, "i can't run in my sandals, i'll fall." she answered gloomily. he gave her a sappy smile, the kind only she got and turned around.  he looked back as she gazed at him, confused.

"well?" he said motioning to his back, "hop on."
charlotte jumped onto his back, and wrapped her legs around his torso, kissing the top of his head
as she did. he laughed, and started running towards the manor. the rain sloshed on the ground below them, and the stable weight of charlotte on his back was almost laughable. he ran towards the house, only stopping when he stepped into a deep puddle of water. he tried to stop it, but they came crashing to the ground, covered in mud and rainwater. he whipped his head around, trying to see if charlotte was okay. she was drenched. her white shirt clung to her shivering shoulders as she laughed. mattheo let out a laugh at the sight of her. she was muddy, soaking wet, and her mascara was dripping down her cheeks. she looked beautiful. her hair was clinging to her head, and he grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her close to him.

he kissed her hard, not caring about that pouring rain that was soaking them. he held onto her delicate cheeks as she kissed him back just as hard. she reached up and twisted her hands into his curly hair. he pulled her into his lap, tugging her closer to him. with a gasp, charlotte pulled away. he looked in her eyes, and wondered how he had ever lived without her.