chapter 11

charlotte woke up warm. she always is when she's with mattheo. he warmed her, inside and out. when she was with him, she was happy, and when she wasn't, she missed him. it was a far cry from how it was back when she hated him, but she didn't care. she couldn't imagine ever hating him again.

she rolled over to look at him, careful not to stir him. he looked so young sleeping, so peaceful and happy. she felt so warm, so safe, here with him. she couldn't think of a place she'd rather be. looking down, charlotte realized he had an arm thrown over her waist, keeping her close to him.

"mattheo," she whispered, tapping on his shoulder to try and wake him, "mattheo, wake up."
with a yawn, he opened his eyes and looked down at her.
"hi char," he said sleepily, "feeling better?"
"grand," she said, smiling up at him.
"are you sure?" he asked, sounding more awake.
"definitely," she nodded.
he looked relieved for a moment before his brow knitted in concern, "what even happened?"
charlotte looked away and debated whether or not she should tell him, before looking at him again and answering, "Millicent Bulstrode tripped me."
barely concealed rage appeared on his face before he looked calm again, "why'd she do that?"
"cause i was wearing this," she answered and gestured to the sweatshirt she was wearing.
"oh," mattheo said, "so she did it cause of me."
"it's not your fault she did it, it was all her." charlotte reassure him.
"okay," mattheo said, before scooting closer to her.

before she knew it, Madame Pomfrey come bursting into the room to check on her. at first, she tried to shoo mattheo out of her bed, but after a while she sighed and gave in. with mattheo still next to her. charlotte had to relay the whole tale of what happened, get her IV removed, and take an ounce of the most vulgar smelling medicine she'd ever witnessed. after that, she was free to leave the hospital wing whenever she was ready.

"ready?" mattheo asked, as she got up from her bed, still wearing her clothes from the match.
" i need to stop at my dorm and change before we go to breakfast," charlotte replied, walking out the hospital wing door, with mattheo following her.
"okay," mattheo said, turning to head to breakfast.
"wait!" charlotte called after him, for a moment, before he turned, she cringed, why would she do that? "can you come with me?"
mattheo grinned and nodded, walking swiftly down the hall to catch up to her.
"i'll always come with you, if you want me to." he said, seriously.
"okay," charlotte said, nodding. she reached into the space between them and grabbed his hand. it was warm. like him. he froze for a moment and charlotte hesitated, wondering if she had read the whole situation, them, wrong. she didn't have long to doubt before mattheo wrapped his hand around hers and swung them a little as they walked to her dorm. she walked happily beside him all the way to the slytherin common room. she was happy that there was no one in the halls to interrupt them, most people had gone to breakfast by now. when they got the common room, she quickly walked up the stairs into her room to get changed.
"wear purple," mattheo said as she climbed the stairs, "i think it'll suit you."
charlotte blushed and kept walking. in her room, charlotte opened her closet and started rummaging through for an outfit. she knew she needed to hurry up so they wouldn't miss breakfast, but she had to look good. she pulled a lavender purple dress out and put it on. it looked perfect on her. mattheo was right, it did suit her. before she left her room, there was a knock at the door.
"come in, mattheo," she called, trying to fasten her necklace. she heard the door open and close before footsteps sounded on the floor. without a word, he took the necklace out of her hands and moved to put it on her. she stood with her back to him, soaking in his warmth as he adjusted the necklace so the heart and key charm was in the front. he stayed behind her, watching in the
mirror in front of her.
"you look beautiful," he said quietly, taking a step away from her to sit on her bed.
she blushed and said, "thanks matty."
he rolled his eyes, but didn't complain about the nickname like he usually did. he got quiet for a moment, which made charlotte turn around, away from the mirror, and walk towards him. he waited a long time before grabbing her hand. she stepped closer to him, till they were almost eye to eye.
"what's up with you?" she asked quietly, lifting a hand to brush a strand of hair out of his eyes.
he smiled at her and laughed a little, "i have a question," he said, looking joyful but sounding solemn.
"okay..." charlotte said, a little nervous, but this was mattheo. she trusted him completely, if there was one person in all of hogwarts she trusted as much as her friends, it was him.
"will you go to the summer ball with me?" he said, looking at her nervously.
"of course i will," she said, leaning forward to hug him. as soon as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, she had realized that they had never hugged. she moved to pull away, but mattheo stood up and hugged her back, tightly. he was quite a bit taller than her, so it was a little difficult, but he held onto her tightly, and it made her feel happier than she had in years.