chapter 12

the day of the ball crept up before charlotte knew it. they had class off that day, so charlotte hadn't seen mattheo, at all. she was nervous. today needed to be perfect. as she got ready, charlotte kept thinking about all the amazing things that could happen. and knowing mattheo and how amazing he was, she knew tonight would live up to her expectations. she curled her hair into pretty ringlets, and put on her usual makeup, taking extra to make it look extra good. when everything was done, she pulled out her dress. it was a beautiful light blueish strapless dress, and it complimented her perfectly.mattheo had went with her to pick it out, of course, he was little actual help, but she appreciated the support. he had gotten a tie to match the color of her dress, and charlotte knew that they were gonna look good together.

after she pulled on her dress, she spent as long as
possible pinning back her hair and putting on perfume, overcome by her nervousness. she knew it wasn't actually a big deal, that it was just mattheo, but mattheo was never just mattheo. he had always been more. more than her, more than other boys, just more. just better. she was overthinking everything. she was nervous that he would hate her dress and hate her hair and hate her. she knew he wouldn't, that he would like her no matter what, but it did little to calm her nerves. they had done things together before, like the party and when he spent the night in her room, but this was different. this was like a date.

she waited anxiously until she heard the telltale sound of a knock at her door. she knew it was him, none of her other friends would bother to knock. with one last quick look in the mirror, she opened the door and moved to let him in.

"hi," she said, looking at him shyly.
"hi char," he replied, before a huge smile lit up his face as he took in the sight of her, "you look perfect."

charlotte felt herself blush deeply, but for one she didn't care, she was happy mattheo had said that, she wasn't gonna be embarrassed about it. she grabbed his hand and led him to the ballroom, where everyone was. they walked in, and charlotte felt perfect. here, with mattheo and his matching tie, charlotte felt infinite. she hoped after graduation and even after she died, everyone would remember her like this. in her beautiful dress with mattheo at her side, as always. they walked down the spiral steps, side by side, and charlotte would swear that everyone turned to look at them. charlotte knew they made a gorgeous picture, her in her long silky dress and him in his fitted suit and matching tie. they looked like they belonged together.

once they had made it down the stairs, they danced. slow songs and fast, charlotte and mattheo danced together for hour. during the fast songs, she would jump around to her favorites, and he would laugh happily and spin her around. during the slow ones, he held her tightly to him and swayed them around gently. charlotte couldn't think of a place she'd rather be. during a break between songs, when charlotte had sat down to fox her shoe, mattheo had looked down at her and said, "i'm going to the loo real quick, save your next dance for me, yeah? can't have anyone stealing my girl, can i?" he laughed and walked toward the restrooms. charlotte laughed as she watched him go, excited for him to come back.
"hey charlotte." seamus said, approaching her.
"oh hey seamus," she replied, "how're you?"
" i'd be a lot better if ya danced with me," he said, holding out his hand.
charlotte laughed and took his hand, "okay," she said and followed him to the dance floor. they laughed and dance together to "22" by Taylor Swift, when the song ended, she bid seamus goodbye and went to find mattheo. he was sitting on the bench that she was at before she danced with seamus, with a solemn look on his face.
before she could say anything he looked up at her and said, "i thought i was your next dance."
immediately, charlotte realized her mistake, she had been planning on waiting for him, but she had gotten so swept up in the moment that she had completely forgotten. all she had been thinking of was having fun with her friends, not mattheo. for once.
"whoops, i completely forgot," she said with an awkward laugh. she wasn't sure why mattheo was so mad about one dance, he could dance with her right now if he wanted to.
"yeah, it looked like it," he said icily.
"what's your problem?" charlotte asked, taken aback by his demeanor.
"nothing charlotte, nothing at all," he said back.
"jesus christ, it was one dance! i don't know why it's such a big deal." she said rolling her eyes.
"well its pretty obvious charlotte, i'm not gonna sit around and explain it to you." he said before walking off, leaving her out standing on the landing. she watched him walk up the stairs, and out the door, feeling heartbroken. she didn't know how, but she had a feeling everything was ruined.