chapter 26

it was a clear night. mattheo walked through the forest he had known since he was a kid, but he knew something was different. he had lost charlotte, like he knew he would, but he couldn't have anticipated the burning in his heart, like he had lost a part of him. probably the best part. the night was clear and cloudless, and the full moon shined brightly through the trees as he walked. it was a peaceful night, serene in a way. he knew that if charlotte were here, she'd find it beautiful.

he walked in the silence, listening to the crunching of his shoes against the colorful leaves that had fallen off the tall, picturesque trees. he was deep in the forest, he knew that, but he couldn't bring himself to turn back. he sat against a large oak tree and closed his eyes. maybe he could get her back. maybe he could apologize, tell her the truth. a howl pierced the air, and mattheos eyes flew open. he shot up and tried to retrace his steps back to the castle, but he knew it was no use.

the huge, gray werewolf jumped from the shrubs and launched towards him. mattheo fell backwards at the force, and he felt his head crack against a sharp rock as he hit the ground. he groaned loudly in pain as stars danced across his vision. he stared up at the canopy of trees as he felt the werewolf claw into his chest. he felt the blood rapidly dripping down his body and mixing in with the moist dirt surrounding him, but he didn't know what to do to stop it. he tried to lift an arm to fight the beast off, but his hands were too heavy, and his head felt like it was pounding.

after a moment, the werewolf pulled away from mattheo, and ran deep into the woods. he pondered his choices. truthfully, mattheo had never been depressed, or suicidal, or mentally ill, but right now, laying on the cold forrest floor, he thought maybe this would be a good way to go. staring at the beautiful leaves decorating the clear, dark blue sky, thinking of charlotte. with a sigh, he ignored the tingling in his chest and lifts himself off the ground, wincing at the pool of blood soaking the ground where he layed. he dragged himself through the forest and up the steps of the castle. he lugged himself through the halls, pressing a hand to his wounds to try and staunch the bleeding, though he was unsuccessful. he stopped in front of a familiar door, and knocked once.

"hello?" charlotte called from inside her dorm.
"charlotte," mattheo sighed in relief.

she opened the door, and he practically fell through it. her mouth fell open as she took in the sight of his mangled chest.
"like what you see?" he asked with a wink.
charlotte rolls her eyes, blushing slightly, "ah yes, i love seeing you bleed out. what happened, mattheo?"
"werewolf." he answered bluntly, swaying on his feet. she rushed to his side and helped him to her bed, not caring that his blood was soaking through her sheets. she picked up her wand and hovered it over his wounds, stitching them up partially.
"that's all i can do mattheo," she said, "madame Pomfrey will have to do the rest."
he nodded and moved to get up, but she held a hand out, stopping him.
"stay, mattheo." he layed back down, and pulled her with him, resting his chin on her head. he slept soundly for the first time in weeks, with charlotte pulled tightly to his chest. it was the most peace either of them had felt since france. a loud, pained howl pierced the night air so loud both mattheo and charlotte could swear they remembered it, even in their sleep. it was the last they'd ever hear.