Chapter Two: Houdini

"Im tam paenitet—I am so sorry for this girl's ridiculum behavior. Stupid girl, why did you curse the ally?" My mother hit my arm several times and I winced. "Mom, it was an imprudentia casu that was meant for the wrong person."

Billy Black laughed. "No one was harmed—Paul is still throwing punches as he used to before. No need to apologize." 

"An apology would be nice. For Paul, of course." Sam grunted. From what I've observed, he was stoic and calm, only speaking when he needed to. "We are sorry that she has done such a thing. She will formally apologize if needed."

"Sam! Emily told us to come here—what's up?" someone asked. We turned around to see many shirtless guys—with abs for days—come inside the house, laughing and joking around. Except one, who seemed to be very annoyed at me. "Why is she here? Does she have more tricks she wants to show us?"

"Listen, I am so sorry about what happened. I did not know it was going to misfire like that—I was aiming for Emmett—to hold him back. I hope this doesn't affect anything with the treaty."

I put my best puppy-dog face on until he broke into a smile. "It's alright, but the cool thing was when I was floating in the air! That was some sick shit."

"Sick shit indeed. I could totally show you some more!" I exclaimed as we sat down by the dining table together. "No, you won't. You are grounded—you will come home now."

"Lighten up, Elaine. The boys will ensure she won't use magic here, but you'll have to let her stay." Billy waved my mother's threat off. Her mean face broke, and she mumbled a 'yeah whatever' before walking out of the Black household.

"How about we continue this party at Sam's house?"

***

"So, what's grounded mean for you?" a brown-haired boy—Embry questioned. I had gotten to know most of them by now—Sam and his imprint Emily, Paul, Jared, Embry, Quil, and even Leah. They seemed like very nice people except for one person who'd rather spend time with his human crush.

"It is essentially grounding in the wizarding world. Once you are on hex arrest, you may not be able to use magic for anything and will have to live as a human for a given period."

"It's just a dangling-in-air spell, what's your mother so mad about?" Paul asked. "It's a long story, boys."

"We've got time." 

I rolled my eyes and spoke. "Alright, I'm not going into a lot of detail—every person in the wizarding world has a lot of rules to follow in exchange for keeping their powers. There are three main rules: never hurt someone unarmed, never support or instigate a wizarding war of any kind, and never use a non-verified spell in a fair fight."

"If there isn't any more to this, I'm gonna be very unhappy."

"I'm getting to it, Quil. Levicorpus is a non-verified spell—it is not mentioned in the Book Of Spells, which is a dictionary containing every single spell with its known effects and uses. This spell is not listed there—it was created by a half-blood wizard many years ago and became popular around the 1600s. There are a few others that have unspeakable effects, so if I name them my mother would have my head."

"You have got to teach us these spells—Jacob's whining gets louder by the day. I wish Bella would call, I wish Bella wouldn't call, maybe I should call Bella, maybe I should call Bella and hang up."  Jared groaned. I laughed softly at the boy's words—Jacob's thing for Bella was affecting everyone differently. It certainly made Edward a little violent.

"He doesn't believe he has an imprint—no, he thinks it's Bella but with the vampires here it's just not gonna happen." Embry sighed. 

"Seems like he can't catch a break." 

"Seems like who can't catch a break, Houdini?" a voice asked.

Everyone immediately shut up. I turned around, ready to glare at the bigoted fool who seemed eager to face my frustration. 

I was ready to fight. I just couldn't.

My senses were overwhelmed and I wasn't a part of the mortal world anymore. I could feel the universe contracting around me and for a moment, it was just us. He and I—we were one and together, molded perfectly for each other. Nothing else mattered—nothing other than him mattered to me. He tethered me to the world, and without him, I would be floating away. I couldn't bear to breathe without him by my side, watching and looking after me. 

He completed me.

"Woah. What was that?" I breathed out, feeling a little lightheaded as I sat down. Jared and Embry were smiling like idiots as they pat Jacob on the back. "Speak of the devil. Can't believe he did it."

"Did what?" I asked curiously. Everyone was grinning happily, except for Jacob and Leah. Leah never smiled—she didn't 'dig' stretching facial muscles.

"Impr—" Quil's mouth was clamped shut by Jacob, who glared at me threateningly. "He can't believe anything—he's an idiot. Why the hell are you here after what you did?"

Everyone was taken aback by his response. "I came here to apologize to Paul, but now I'm just really into the food."

"We don't have time for jokes, Houdini. Your friends are looking for you so I recommend you back to them before they start sucking everyone here dry trying to find you."

Completes me, my ass.

***

Two days later, I still couldn't stop thinking about him. He was the biggest asshole I had ever confronted in my existence, but his eyes would probably melt me if I stood too close to him. 

"I have a few announcements—they're not really good news." I almost forgot why I was seated on the couch with my head on Rosalie's lap. Bella and Edward were back from Florida—Jacob warned him about the dispute we had, and Bella found out about everything. Unfortunately, she left with Jacob before Edward could explain himself.

"Victoria is still at large, and I can't seem to watch her decisions anymore."

Emmett groaned at this news—no one was happy about a battle. "Secondly, I'm not able to see Alina's future anymore."

Everyone was surprised at this, including me. Alice was always able to see my future, but now I wasn't sure how it was blocked from her view. Ever since the incident with Black, my head has not been screwed on straight. "Wh-what do you mean?"

"It's just blank. That means you're either going to be in big trouble or there's no future worth seeing because of impending death."

That's definitely not something I wanted to hear.