Chapter Nine: Milk Carton

Animated conversation filled my ears like music—all of our friends were there. I hadn't yet gone to see Bella, even when I was a bridesmaid at her wedding. Emmett and I were entertaining Carmen and Eleazar from the Denali coven—dare I say they were entertaining us. Carmen was the sweetest soul I'd ever met, and Eleazar was just perfect for her. 

I excused myself from the conversation, deciding it was time to see Bella after everything. Alice was upstairs doing her makeup and I'd accompanied Rose inside the house. "Are these graduation hats?"

"Store bought." I smiled at Charlie who gave me a weird look before laughing. I'd taken a moment to socialize with Renée, who I hadn't had the chance to meet yet. 

"Bella! You look simply wonderful." I clapped my hands in excitement. The girl was shocked to see me, but her eyes were gleaming. "Alina! I thought you couldn't make it."

"Turns out I can do anything."I flicked a strand of my hair as I took over for Alice doing Bella's makeup. No one could do a better wing than me—I was an eyeliner whiz. 

"Crap! My mascara," Renée said as she admired Bella. Alice handed her a handkerchief as they watched Charlie come in. "I know, I look hot."

"We thought you needed something blue."

Charlie opened the velvet bot, which displayed a beautiful silver hairpin with sapphires on it. "And something old—besides your mother."

"Nice."

 "It was Grandma Swan's," Charlie said as Bella took the hairpin carefully out of the box. "But we added the sapphires."

"It's beautiful, you guys. Wow, thank you so much."

"It's your first family heirloom—pass it on to your daughter and her daughter..." Renée started tearing up again as the four of us, except Charlie, plastered awkward looks. We couldn't exactly tell Renée that her daughter was going to become immortal and that she would never be able to have children. 

"It's time for the dress!"

***

Alice, Rosalie, and I had returned outside to the large gathering of guests. Jieza and I had returned to Carmen and Eleazar, Kate, Irina, and Tanya. Carlisle hugged Carmen—it had been a very long time since they had last seen each other. 

Jieza and I were laughing with Kate and Tanya—they were amazing company. Irina was very annoyed—she wouldn't socialize with everyone much and seemed a little disgusted by me and Jieza. She was very uncomfortable here.

Everyone stood up as Charlie guided Bella to the altar. Bella looked mesmerizing—she was very nervous, but I knew Edward would be too. It's not every century that you marry a human girl.

"I wanna get married now," Jieza whispered in my ear. I knew she would start crying if she witnessed the whole wedding. I grabbed her hand in reassurance, that I myself wished for nothing more too. "I am gonna blow."

Bella and Edward were focused on nothing but each other—they didn't want to look at anything but each other. It was so wonderful.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are gathered here today..."

***

"To Mr. and Mrs. Cullen!" Emmett popped open the champagne bottle as we cheered. "Edward and Bella Cullen!"

"You guys are gonna be very happy together." I embraced the couple as I wished them the best. "Edward owes me a new mascara—I'm running out."

Jieza laughed as she wiped her tears off with a handkerchief. Edward promised her his pin—she would clean him out soon. "Hey man, nice to see you!"

"What, no hug for me?" I pouted as Seth looked at me, his jaw dropped. He wrapped his arms around me tightly. "I can't believe you're back already!"

"Did you get taller?"

"Just a little bit. The pack is gonna freak out when they find out." Seth started giggling. I leaned down to hug Billy, who seemed happy that I was there. "Oh, I'll come down there tomorrow. Don't worry about it."

"Too late—wolf telepathy, remember?"

***

"Hey." Edward took a seat at our table. I smiled in response, taking a sip of my champagne. Everyone was either forming large groups or dancing the night away. "Why aren't you dancing with your bride?"

"I left her with Charlie for some time. Come on, I need to show you something."

I quirked a brow in confusion at his smile. "Here I was, thinking I should be getting you a gift."

"I think you'll like mine more." Edward laughed as he led me to the entrance of the forest. I was very confused as to why he'd brought me here. "Hey, stranger."

My eyes widened as I saw Jake appear from the shadows. I took a step back, not believing what I had seen. With every step I took Jake took two forward until he was just inches away from me. Edward had already left—moments after Jake had appeared. 

"I'm sorry—"

He was apologizing—for what he probably didn't know. I hated him for not calling me the past month. I hated him for what he did to me. He was in the wrong—he told me to go even though I didn't want to.

So I punched him—hard. A satisfying crack echoed throughout the entire backyard, but it was drowned out by the music and laughter. Blood spilled from Jake's nose as he groaned, tilting his head upward. "I deserved that—still hurt a lot."

"Episkey."

He groaned in pain, grabbing his now-fixed nose. I laughed at his reach before pulling his hand away. He looked at me with a smile—the same smile he had when he was injured and told me to god. "I have missed you so much."

I pulled him by his shirt collar, pressing my lips to his. The kiss was neither flirtatious nor angry—it was sweet and passionate. Jake leaned into me, and I melted with the feeling of holding him—having him here with me. His hands gripped my waist roughly—demanding and forceful. We both felt the need to devour each other, regretting every second we spent without each other. 

"I should go back," I whispered against his lips. "You don't have to."

"It wouldn't hurt you to show up there. Your dad is worried sick about you—you can't just leave and expect everything to be okay. I almost put your face on a milk carton."

"You're here—everything is okay. Mostly went around northern Canada—I think. It's weird to be back on two legs again, in clothes. Got out of practice with the whole human thing."

"I don't think you've missed out on a lot—still have two legs and two hands."

"You would think. Looks like your friends are here." Jake still had his arms wrapped around me as I laughed. I turned around in his embrace to see Quil, Paul, and Embry.

"Alina!"