Chapter Eleven: Old Wives' Tale

"Perfringo."

I rubbed my palm over Bella's growing belly. The sound of her weakening heart became louder, but it was hard for everyone to hear. I looked comfortingly at the poor girl—her eyes had hollowed out, her skin was impenetrable, and her bones were more fragile. "I'm okay, Lina."

"Mihi dulcis—your baby is destroying your body." I caressed her cheek with my finger sadly. Everyone kept their distance—Alice was uncomfortable, Carlisle and Esme were helpless and Edward felt useless. He couldn't help his mate overcome this—it wasn't his decision.

Bella was about to respond when Jake rushed into the room. I had kept this from him for two weeks—he would hate me for not telling him, and even more when he found out that I supported Bella's decision. 

Jake raised his eyebrows at me, but I couldn't look him in the eye. He moved closer to the couch Bella and I were currently sitting on, only to be stopped by Rose. "Close enough."

"Rose, it's okay." Bella's weak voice reassured Rose as the latter moved out of the way, giving Jake a look at Bella. She wasn't exactly in her best condition, and her heart was probably minutes away from failing. "You look terrible."

Bella smiled at Jake's words bitterly. "Yeah, it's nice to see you too."

"So, are you gonna tell me what's wrong with you?" Jake definitely wasn't prepared for what he was about see, but I was already planning for the worst possible outcome. Bella looked at Rose and me, and I could see the fear in her eyes. "You guys wanna help me up."

I nodded as I held her frail arm, helping her stand up as her belly came into full view. Bella pulled down her shirt, covering her swollen stomach as Jake attempted to comprehend what was going on. "You did this!"

"Jake!" I yelled as he marched toward Edward. Thankfully, Emmet had grabbed him by his shoulder preventing him from attacking. "We didn't know it was even possible."

"What is it?" Jake asked Carlisle as Bella fell back into the couch, unable to carry her own weight. "I don't know—ultrasounds and needles won't penetrate the embryonic sac. Alina's been checking up on Bella's health since normal procedures didn't do any good."

"You 've been here every day for two weeks and didn't even bother to tell me." He glared at me, but I knew I couldn't explain myself. "I can't see it either, and I can't see Bella's future anymore."

"We've been researching legends, but there isn't much to go on. What we do know is that it's strong and fast-growing."

"Why haven't you done anything? Take it out of her!" Jake demanded. "This is none of your business, dog."

"Rose!" I scolded, "All this fighting isn't good for Bella."

"The fetus isn't good for Bella." Alice scorned. "Say the word, Alice—baby. It's just a little baby."

"Possibly."

"Carlisle, you've gotta do something." Jake tried to plead with Carlisle—Bella was his best friend. He couldn't stand watching her get weaker and possibly die because of a mistake that we didn't take precautions for. "No! It's not his decision—it's not any of yours."

"Jacob, I need to talk to you."

***

"I'm sorry."

I quirked a brow at Bella's words. "For what, sweetie?"

"Jake's mad at you—I know he is. He's mad at everyone, but it's hard for you and I don't want to strain your relationship with him." I sighed as I sat down next to Bella. She was right—Jake was not in the mood to talk things out. He was so upset when he found out that I'd spent two weeks lying to him. 

"He is mad at me—very much so, but it isn't his place to make your decisions for you. Neither is Edward—I know he tried to make Jake talk you out of this. We've had a complicated relationship so far, what's new this time?" I let out a bitter chuckle. Our bond became stronger when we were together—when we knew that the other was right there with us. It also became weaker every day we spent without each other. 

"I just want my baby boy to come into this world without any worries."

"There is an old wives' tale which says that if you dream about your baby being a boy, or if you picture it as a boy, then it is definitely a girl." I laughed. Bella's eyes widened in astonishment. "There is no way that's true."

"Whether it's a girl or a boy, we will always be here—ready to protect you and your baby. We love you no matter what, but if this baby is killing you..."

"It's not—it really isn't hurting me in a way I feel constant pain. He's a miracle—my little baby who no one could have possibly known about. I will stop anyone who tries to take him from me," Bella stroked her belly with a smile. 

"I can't have kids," I admitted slowly. Bella's smile dropped and it was immediately replaced with a look of concern. "Oh, I didn't—"

"I can have kids—just not with Jacob." Bella was extremely confused by my words. "But, you can have kids with anyone else?"

"Wolves can't have children with someone who doesn't possess their ancestry—it's impossible."

"Woah," Bella took a minute to understand—everyone would have, it was very mind-boggling, "Does Jake know?"

"Yeah, I think he does. He is the wolf in the relationship—I assume he's the one who would have known first."

"You can still adopt, right?" Bella asked. I shook my head in denial—I couldn't do that a child. "Adopting means taking care of a young human child, it would be very difficult for them to grow up surrounded by these strange things."

"Aunt Bella would be a main character in their nightmares, huh?" The girl joked. "Forget that, Mommy would be the main character in their nightmares."

"What are you two going on about?" Rose entered the room with a mug of hot chocolate for me and some water for Bella. "Not having kids."

"Join the fucking club," the blonde sighed. Rose and I were as close as sisters—we would tell each other everything. For ten years I had read book after book to see if I could help her—turn her human so that she could grow old and have a family. "After I have this baby."

"Get in line—I'm already the vice president."