Chapter Fourteen: Heartbeat

"Rosalie, pass the morphine!" I was barking orders left and right. Edward and I had minimal, experience in surgery, but I prayed it was enough to deliver this baby. I had sent Alice to call Carlisle and Esme, and her news wasn't good. "Carlisle said that the placenta must have detached."

Edward stabbed the morphine needle into Bella's arms as she gasped in pain. "He's coming as fast as we can, but—"

"We'll have to do it." Rose grabbed the scalpel, but Edward stopped her from cutting through. "Rose, let the morphine spread."

"There's no time, he's dying!"

"Get him out, now!" Bella yelled in agony. Jake held her hand as I grabbed the scalpel from Rose.

"Look at me, Bella." Bella started screaming as I cut through her skin and into the embryonic sac. Her screams stopped as she fell unconscious, but it was Rosalie who was staring at the blood on my hands. "Rosalie, don't!"

Edward had barely said anything before Jake jumped on the blonde, preventing her from doing something. "Alice, get her out of here."

"Rosalie..." Bella cried for the girl to come back, but she wasn't strong enough to repel her desire for the blood. "Save her—you've got to change her!"

"Not while he's still in there—she might die," I mumbled as I blocked out the screaming and carved in. "Stay, Bella. Stay focused. Keep your heart beating. 

"No! He's suffocating." Bella struggled to speak as Jake tried to calm her down and focus on her pulse. "Edward, it's too strong here—you've got to bite through."

Edward nodded and bit out the impenetrable embryonic sac, wiping the blood off of his mouth. The morphine was already wearing off—it hadn't even spread when we had started cutting. We didn't have any more anesthetics left and it would take a while before Carlisle would reach. We didn't have time—Bella was going to have to bear the pain.

With a final snip, I cut off the umbilical cord and managed to take the baby out. Edward smiled as I pulled her out—her cries were beautiful and she was healthy and her heart was beating. 

"It's Renesmee." Happy tears pooled in my eyes as I cradled the sweet baby in my arms. Bella had regained some of her consciousness and was smiling. "You are beautiful."

I placed the baby on Bella's chest so that she could feel her newborn before she lost consciousness again. We didn't have time to wipe the blood off of her, or any of us for that matter. The baby girl had started crying again so I picked her up and cradled her once more. Bella stared at her daughter lovingly as her breathing lessened.

"Bella? Bella!" Jake tried shaking the girl, but she wouldn't respond. My eyes widened as I looked at the baby in horror. Edward took her from my arms and started wiping her down. 

"Jake, take the baby." I checked for Bella's pulse, heartbeat—anything. "Keep that thing away from me."

"Edward, I've got her."

***

"I think you found a way to make Renesmee a thing—it fits you perfectly." I laughed as I held the baby girl. I'd managed to get all the blood off of her, and me. Sitting by the fireplace, I rocked her gently as she looked into my eyes and reached her plan to my face.

Flashes of many images went through my mind—me taking Renesmee out as Bella screamed, cradling the young child as she looked into my eyes, and my smile when I saw her for the first time.

I'd nearly jumped in shock when the words appeared in my mind. "D-Did you that, Renesmee?"

I closed my eyes in silent disbelief as Rosalie shook my shoulder. "You want me to take her?"

"Here," I slowly handed the Renesmee to a smiling Rose, "I think she just transmitted her thoughts to me."

"She has powers?" Rose mumbled in shock. "The opposite of Edward's."

Rose looked dazed for a second but quickly turned to me. "She did it again!"

"She has a heart—a healthy, beating heart. There is human blood within her, but she drinks blood and has special powers. Half human and half vampire..."

"Remarkable." Rosalie cooed at the baby. "I didn't think it was possible."

"You can tell Jake that I'm not going back to Sam's pack!" Seth had barged into the house angrily—an emotion that wasn't common for the boy. I felt my exhaustion catching up to me as I grasped the couch to avert my dizziness.

"Seth, what are you t-talking—"

I didn't hear anything after that—hell, I'd barely been able to collect my own thoughts. In the last second, before I fell to the floor, I heard Seth drop to his knees as he looked at Renesmee and Rose yell. Alice caught me before I passed out on the floor.

"W-what's h-happening..."

***

I woke up to blinding lights, struggling to open my eyes as my vision blurred. I groaned in discomfort as I attempted to get up from the bed. "Glad you're awake, Lina."

"I'll get there," I mumbled as Carlisle checked my eyes. Low iron in my blood, fatigue, and sleep loss wasn't the best combination for someone like me. 

"Do you know about it? You must've figured it out." Carlisle smiled warmly. I nodded groggily, rubbing my eyes as I yawned. "Yesterday."

"You need rest—plenty of it. You're already endangering yourself and you know you're anemic—don't stress yourself too much."

"You're asking me to give up on what I do best?" I joked. Carlisle had already set up an IV drip for me, so I was stuck here for about half an hour. "Do it for him."

"Where's Jake?" I groaned. "He's speaking with the pack right now—apparently Seth imprinted on Renesmee and now that problem is solved. They can't kill someone who one of them has imprinted on."

"Is that what happened?" I asked in shock and Carlisle nodded. Esme and Alice barged in and quickly assessed my condition. "We were so worried about you! How could you do this to yourself?"

"With my wand?"

"Rose said that Renesmee asked for you." Esme smiled. "Really now?"

"I think she felt it before any of us could."

***

"You were going to kill her?" I yelled at Jake, shoving him as he looked at me in surprise. "She almost killed Bella—"

"And that gives you the right to fucking try to murder her baby?" I was screaming so hard my lungs were about to burst. I bribed Carlisle to take the drip off with the promise of taking rest and not getting involved in any stressful activities. Boy, was I good at lying?

"You didn't see it happening! That thing could have killed her—it almost did when it came out!"

"Say the fucking word Jacob—baby. It's a little baby and it didn't kill anyone." I shoved him harder, but he didn't retaliate. 

"Why the fuck are you mad about me almost avenging Bella?"

I stopped talking and walked toward him slowly. Jake awaited an answer, but I didn't have one. I guided his hand to my abdomen and placed it there.

"Audi homo alibi."

 A soft pattering heartbeat echoed throughout the forest. It was steady and strong, healthy—it was loud too, but if it was anything, it wasn't mine. 

"Because I think I'm pregnant."