Chapter Four: New Vampires

"Em, are you sure this is okay?" I asked quietly as Embry dragged me to the bonfire. Over the past few days, I had gotten closer to the wolves. Embry was the one I'd connected the most with—we'd hang out together and we had taken the same shifts guarding Bella's house. He'd even come to my house for sleepovers because his house was too far and I would insist he come over. 

"You're a part of this family. Come on, it'll be good for you to hear the histories."

"It feels like I'm intruding," I answered him as I sat next to him and Paul. Paul gave a me wide smile, putting an arm around my shoulder. "Intruding? You're not going anywhere."

"Oh my God, you guys. I'm gonna cry."

"If you cry, you're out of here. We've started a petition to put up a sign that says: 'Crybabies Unallowed' and we're going strong at five signatures." Jared laughed, plopping down beside Embry. "Here comes Bella and lover boy Jake—he hasn't given a rat's ass about the whole thing, has he?"

Embry shrugged unknowingly as Jacob and Bella made their way toward us. Jacob was visibly upset at my being here, whereas Bella couldn't be happier. "Guess the pressure of being the first outsider is off."

"The Quileutes have been a small tribe since the beginning, but we have always had magic in our blood. We were great spirit warriors—shapeshifters that transformed into the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies and protect our tribe. One day, our warriors came across a creature that looked like a man but was hard like stone and cold as ice. Our warriors' sharp teeth finally tore it apart, but only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear that the cold man was not alone, and they were right. She took her vengeance out on the village—our elder chief Taha Aki was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe after his son was killed. Taha Aki's third wife could see that he would lose. The third wife was no magical being; no special powers but one—courage. The third wife's sacrifice distracted the cold woman long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her—she saved the tribe. Over time, our enemies have disappeared, but one remains—the cold ones. Our magic awakens when they're near, and we sense it now. We feel the threat in our blood—something terrible is coming and we must all be ready—all of us.

I leaned on Embry's shoulder—tired and awake, learning new histories that completely changed my thoughts. I knew that vampires weren't the best people—they rarely were, but the Cullens were different. It would take a long time for the Quileute tribe to completely place their trust in them. 

"Hey, let's go for a walk." Embry smiled as he took my hand and led me to the forest. "Shit, it's way past curfew. Should I go home?"

"No way. I'll get you home, don't worry."

I laughed at the boy as we strolled around the forest. It wasn't so scary when I wasn't alone—the fact that no one decided to tackle me was a plus. However, I couldn't help missing him, even though he couldn't be bothered to talk to me. "That must've been hard for you—hearing the stories."

"I don't mind—I don't. It's just hard to believe that about the Cullens—they practically raised me. I've known them my whole life, even after they left Cali. They took care of me and I have never forgotten that. They're not like what the cold ones were before."

"They aren't the worst—as much I wanna say the opposite, they did a great job with you because you turned out amazing." I smacked Embry's hand, blushing at his words. "You are really cute, and I need to go home."

"Let's go then, milady."

***

"Hey, gang." I smiled upon entering the Cullen household, only to find everyone looking miserable. "Hello, Lina."