Chap 19: The End

"Hey Dan. I brought you some sunflowers." I said, setting them next to her gravestone.

"Mani and I finally made up. I stopped blaming her for what happened that night..." It had been two months since Dani died. Snow and ice covered the ground now, covering the yellowing grass and dead leaves.

"Guess what? Lauren is in rehab now. We finally convinced her to go. She was starting to get... real fucked up." I said.

"Dani... Dani, I miss you so much. It's not fair. Lil and Pat still blame themselves for what happened to you. Trust me, I blamed everyone and myself. I just... I just want you back-" I heard crunching behind me and I turned around quickly. It was Mani, standing there with sunflowers.

"How'd you know I was here?" I asked her.

"You visit Dan every weekend, Chi. You're a creature of habit." She said, smiling at me. She set the flowers on Dani's grave and grabbed me into a hug.

"China, I love you." She said, holding me. Tears slid down my cheeks as I squeezed her tightly.

"I love you too, Mani." I said. I let her go and stared at Dani's grave, still wishing it was all a big joke or game.

"I can see Dani now, saying eww stop crying." I said, chuckling.

"Yeah, probably. Baby, I wanted to tell you something." Mani said seriously.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"I stepped down as the ceo of Lady Venus. My mother told me she would fire me anyway if I continued to date you. So I left." She said.

"Mani, I'm really sorry... I never meant to come in between you and-"

"No. This isn't on you, it's them. You're an amazing person, Chi. As much as I don't wanna live without them, I can't live without you. So I did what was for the best. Besides, I'm gonna start up my own make up brand." She said with a smile. I engulfed her in a hug we walked out of the graveyard together.
******
"I'm glad you're doing a little better, Laur." Mani said to Lauren. We both decided we'd go and visit her to see how rehab was going. Needless to say, she was driving the staff here crazy. She looked so... healthy. You wouldn't have thought she had a problem at all. But when she snorted a bad batch and started running through the streets naked before getting arrested, we all found out.

"It's nice to see you two together, Dream." Lauren said with a smile.

"It's nice to see you doing better, Laur. How are you feeling?" Mani asked her.

"I'm hanging in there. It ain't so bad in here. Three square meals, snacks and a few pretty girls and boys, a little eye candy. One of the nurses wants me, I can tell." She said. I chuckled; typical Lauren.

"Forget about me. How are you feeling, China?" She asked me, giving me those sad, pity eyes everyone had been giving me since Dani's unfortunate passing.

"I'm... I don't know. I think I'm okay. Dani wouldn't want me to be sad and carrying on. She would want me to get on with my life. As long as I don't forget about her, which I never could." I said with a slight chuckle. The table got quiet and they were both still staring at me with that look in their eyes.

"Stop looking at me like that, I'm okay! I swear." I said. Mani and Lauren both gave each other a look then nodded.

"We should be getting out of here, Laur. We'll come and visit again soon, I promise." Mani said, getting up and giving Lauren a hug. I hugged her too and said my goodbyes and we left the rehabilitation center. As Mani drove, I realized we were leaving town.

"Uhm, Mani, where are we going?" I asked her. She smiled and looked over at me.

"A spot I used to like to go to. It's special to me. And it's something I need to say to you." She said. Now my mind was racing. There were a hundred different things that she could have to say to me. What if she breaks up with me? No, she's not going to do that... is she? I was nervous the rest of the ride. I looked on either side of us and there was nothing but trees. She stopped on the side of the road and turned the car off.

"Come on, babe." She said.

"Mani, where the hell are we?" I asked her nervously.

"Just come on." She said, holding her hand out for me to take. I took it and we started walking through a wooded area.

"Mani-"

"It's alright baby, look." We came upon a clearing where a huge, lone tree stood, towering in the field filled with tall grass.

"When I first started driving, I found this place after an argument with my dad. I used to come here and read, think. It's special to me and so are you. So... I wanted to be here when I did this." She said, going into the pocket of her pants. She took out a small box and my heart jumped in my chest.

"Mani, what is that?" I asked her. She got down on one knee and opened the box.

"Chi, I know we haven't known each other that long, but I love you so much. I know I'm ready to do this. And I don't care who takes who's last name, I just want you to be my wife. So China, will you marry me, baby?" She asked me. I couldn't believe this. Marriage? Marry Normani? Did... did I want that? Was I ready to be with her that way?

"Hey, Chi." I heard that raspy voice behind me. I turned around and Dani was standing there in all white, her dark hair cascading down her back and shoulders in loose curls.

"D-Dani?" I asked.

"Yes girl, who else? Look, I remember you telling me how much you wanted to be with Mani and how much you wanted to fight to be with her. The two of you are perfect together. Don't let her slip away."

"What if I mess things up? What if I'm-"

"What if, really? China, if you worry about the what ifs, you'll never be happy. She makes you happy and that makes me happy. Look, if you tell her no, I'll haunt your ass til the day you die." Dani said. I chuckled and held out my hand. I swear I felt her take it.

"I miss you, Dani." I said. She smiled and turned around and walked away, disappearing.

"Uhm, China? Are you okay, baby?" Mani asked me.

"Yes." I said.

"So, will you-"

"Yes, Mani. Yes, I'll marry you." I said. She slid the pretty diamond ring on my finger and jumped up, grabbing me into a hug. She pecked me on my lips and then caressed my cheek. When I first met her, I had no idea I'd end up being her fiance, especially not so soon. But Dan was right. She makes me happy.

"You want to sit here with me, just for a little while?" Mani asked. I shook my head yes and we sat under the shade of the large tree, watching the sun go down.
*****