Chap 16: Come Home With Me

Two months. Two months since the incident at the mall where Mani began to speak again and Dani collapsed, her blood leaking onto my pants. I came to the hospital every single day to sit with her and talk to her, even if I was tired from work. She was always skinny, but now... the doctors said she was in her double digits instead of triple with her weight and that the cancer was spreading, rapidly.

"Chi?" Dani said, moving the oxygen mask to the side.

"Yeah, Dan?" I asked.

"What the hell happened?" She asked, almost inaudibly.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm 20, Chi. And I'm dying."

"Dani, plea-"

"I can't breathe. It hurts Chi. I can't even take a deep breath. I'm laying here, wasting away..." She said, looking at me with tears in her eyes. I let the tears that seemed to pool in my eyes every time I was around Dani lately, fall freely.

"I know this is hard, but there has to be something we can do-"

"You know there isn't. I know. When my parents think I'm sleep, I can hear them talking to the doctor. I'm... I'll be gone soon." She said, her voice cracking. I got up from the seat I was sitting in and pushed my chair closer to Dan. I grabbed her bony hands and looked into her sad, green eyes.

"Dani, just hang in there. Please. For the people who love you."

"What about me? The people who love me are okay, healthy as horses. I'm the one dying. I don't wanna live for you guys Chi, I'm sorry. I wanna die for ME. Because there isn't anything we can do. Time. Time is gonna take me soon. But Chi, I need you to-"

"Knock knock." I looked up toward the door and my pretty girlfriend was standing there. Her smile dropped immediately when she noticed we were both crying. She came over to us and kissed me quickly before giving Dani a forehead kiss, to which she smirked.

"I won't ask what's wrong. I know what's wrong. Dani, sweetheart, I'm-"

"You're sorry, I know Mani. It's okay love." Dani said in a raspy voice. Mani sat on the edge of the bed and looked down at her hands. I turned my attention back toward my friend.

"What were you gonna say Dani?" I asked. She shook her head and whispered nothing.

"Chi, I wanted to take you out tonight. Will you come somewhere with me?" Mani asked me.

"I don't know, Mani. Dani needs me." I said.

"You're right, babe. I understand." Mani said with a smile.

"No, go on a date, Chi. Why would you wanna sit in here with me all damn day, staring at four white walls? Please, go out. For me." Dani pleaded with me. I raised my eyebrow at her, but I nodded yes anyway.

"Fine, fine. Let's go out then, Mani." I said. Mani smiled and kissed my cheek.

"I'm gonna go get everything ready, I'll be by your place at seven, okay?" Mani asked. I shook my head yes and she grabbed me into a hug.

"I'll see you later, babe. See ya, Dan." Mani said, leaving out of the room.

"So, what were you saying, Dani?" I asked her.

"Oh, it's nothing. Come lay with me for a little while, okay?" Dani asked. I smiled at her and laid down next to her thin frame.
*****
"Wow, Mani, this is beautiful." I said, as Mani and I sat on a rooftop restaurant, other couples around us talking quietly amongst themselves. A man with long, brown hair and long legs came up to us in a tuxedo.

"Can I get you ladies something to drink?" He asked in a French accent.

"Sure, could we both get some of your best red wine?" Mani asked him. He made a face but nodded and said he'd be right back.

"You seen him make a face at me?" Mani asked me.

"Uhm, baby, it's just that you talk a little loud. You don't mean to, you can't help it." I said. She frowned and sighed, she hated being reminded of her handicap, even though it wasn't really a handicap.

"How are you feeling lately, babe?" Mani asked me.

"I'm just... I'm so scared, Normani. I don't wanna lose Dani, but... it's not looking too good." I said truthfully.

"It's okay, baby girl. We just gotta try and stay positive and spend as much time with Dan as we can." Mani said softly. I put my hand out and she grabbed it from across the table. The look she gave me was different. She had never looked at me this way before; with pure lust in her eyes.

"Babe, are you really hungry?" Mani asked, caressing my hand softly.

"Not for this over priced food." I said.

"Here's your wine-"

"Actually, we don't want the wine. Let's get outta here, babe." Mani said, standing up. I followed right in behind her pretty ass all the way to the car. The air in the car was so thick with sexual tension  that you could cut it with a knife.

"Can I ask you a quick question, Chi?" Mani asked me, low key speeding.

"Sure, baby. Yo, slow down a little bit-"

"Do you like penetration?" She asked. I was a little taken aback by her question.

"I mean, yeah, I'm cool with it." I said, my voice shaking a little bit. What was she planning to do tonight? I felt myself start to throb in between my legs at all the possibilities. She pulled into her condominium parking lot and parked. As soon as I got out of the car, she grabbed my hand and led me upstairs to her condo.

"Uhm, Mani?" I said.

"Hmm?" She hummed as she pressed the button to get into the elevator.

"I haven't done this in a long time. Like some years." I said.

"That's okay, baby. I'll take my time and be gentle, I promise." She said to me, turning and facing me. She leaned in and pecked me on lips softly. The elevator finally came down and a elderly man and woman came out of it as we climbed on.
*****