Chap 4: The 'Rents

I was squeezing the shit outta Lauren's waist, trying to hold on to her because she was driving so fast I thought she was gonna break the sound barrier. She turned down a road I'd never been down before, and I'd lived in Grateway my whole life. It looked like the road hadn't been used in years. It was overgrown with grass and brush.

"Where the hell are we?!" I yelled over the roaring engine.

"An old road that led to the canning company that got knocked down in the 70s! No one uses it anymore so I just like to ride as fast as I can down this bitch and yell! Yell with me! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!" She yelled. I giggled and let go of Lauren's waist, throwing my hands in the air.

"WOOOOOOOOOOO!" I yelled, making Lauren laugh. Soon, the old road came to an end and Lauren slowed down to do the speed limit. She slid around a few more corners before my car came into view. She stopped on the side of it and turned her bike off. I stepped off the motorcycle and gave her back her helmet.

"Thank you Lauren." I said.

"No problem, Dream. Hey, let me see your cell." She said. I took my phone from my pocket and unlocked it, giving it to Lauren. She quickly typed something in it and gave it back.

"I put mine and Mani's numbers in there. You ever need us, you just call, okay? Well, in Mani's case, text." She said.

"Will do. Thanks again."

"Sure. I know I'll see you around." She said, getting on her motorcycle  and turning it back on.

"Hey wait!" I said. She turned to me and raised her eyebrow.

"Uh, are you and Mani like, a thing?" I asked her. She laughed out loud.

"Me and Mani? Hell no! We've been buddies since 3rd grade! She's all yours, Dream!" She winked at me and zoomed off down the street.
*************
"Dammit! I should've went with you! I'm sorry Chi." Dani said, giving me puppy dog eyes.

"It's alright Dan. I'm here and I'm okay." I said. We were sitting outside at one of the tables that our boss, Mr. Howard, put out here for the employees when we take breaks. It's nice during the fall time.

"Yeah. I'm glad they were there. I mean, what are the chances?"

"I know right?" I said, sipping a coffee.

"What was her friend's name again? Lola?" Dani asked.

"No, Lauren." I said, chuckling.

"What's she like?" Dani asked.

"She was... very friendly. The type of person you can warm to easily. Funny and sweet. She was... just out there. It's funny, Mani seems like the opposite of her. I mean, she's obviously kind, but she's also quiet and reserved and seems like she's always thinking. A lot." I said, looking up at the trees as they danced in the wind, starting to change different colors.

"Sounds like I'd like Laurel."

"Lauren, Dani. Her name is Lauren. Damn, how you gone like her and can't say her name right?" I said, making her laugh.

"And guess what else?" I asked Dani, who just opened her eyes wider in response.

"She kept calling me Dream." I said. Dani raised an eyebrow and took a sip of her blue Gatorade.

"Dream? Why the hell she call you that?" Dani asked.

"I have no clue." I said sliding down in my seat.

"So, did Normani talk to you yet?" She asked. I shook my head no.

"From what I can tell, she's a mute." I said, shrugging, thinking about how Lauren, someone who talks alot, can be friends with a woman who doesn't talk at all!

"I wonder how she works at Lady Venus not being able to talk." Dani said.

"I'm sure she can talk. She just won't." I said, drinking the last sip of my coffee.

"I wonder why. Do you think something scared her to death? Or maybe she had a accident, like she swallowed acid or somethin!" Dani said excitedly.

"Girl, shut up! If she swallowed acid, she'd be dead!" I said, through snorted laughter. A limousine pulled into the parking lot in front of the restaurant, taking up three parking spaces.

"Ugh! I hate when people do that! Anyway, we might wanna get back in there. Dinah's off today and Ally's always fuckin up somebody's order. Should go give her a hand, McClain." Dani said, finishing her Gatorade and throwing the bottle in the trash can that was about 7 feet away.

"Oh shut up Dani. Maybe you should give her a hand. I'd love to sit on my ass all day, just swiping cards and taking cash. Hell, I could catch up on my sleep." I said, looking at a laughing Dani. We looked back at the limo and saw Normani get out of it with an older man and an older woman. They looked to be her parents.

"Aye, you think that's her folks? Hurry up and get inside so you can meet them! Let's go!" Dani whisper yelled, getting up and quickly running through the employee door in the back. I rolled my eyes and followed her. When I got inside she was already at the front desk, smiling at them. I walked up to them and smiled.

"Hello, ladies, gentleman. Nice to see you again Normani." I said. She smiled warmly at me but her folks didn't seem as friendly, seeing as they just looked around the restaurant like it wasn't up to their standards.

"Follow me-"

"That won't be necessary. We aren't staying. Normani, I didn't realize this was the type of restaurant you wanted to come to." The woman said. Normani glared at her then put her hands in her jean pockets.

"Uh, ma'am, we have very good food. And there's a lot of variety, something for ever-"

"It's fine. Thank you young lady, but we're gonna be on our way. Let's go Normani." The man said loudly. Normani shook her head no.

"Let's. Go. Now." He said, more sternly.  Normani backed away from them and toward me. Other people in the restaurant were starting to stare, even Mario came to see what was going on.

"You're gonna listen to your father and get back in the car Normani!" The woman said loudly. So they were her parents. Come to think of it, they both spoke at her loudly, like they were talking to someone who's hard of hearing. Mani shook her head no again and sat down at a booth, crossing her arms with a scowl on her face.

"Fine! You wanna act like a big baby, stay here in the gutter then." Her mom said.

"The gutter? Excuse you?" I said angrily. They both just looked at me and turned to leave. They said good bye to Dani and she rolled her eyes at them.

"Yeah, whatever. Buh bye." Dani said as they went out the door. She came up to me and made a confused face.

"How charming, am I right?" She said sarcastically. I shook my head and walked over to Normani, who was pouting and looking out the window. Honestly, she looked really cute. I slid in the booth across from her and she looked at me.

"Uhm, hey." I said. She half smiled at me and did a small wave.

"Those your folks?" I asked. She shook her head yes and rolled her eyes.

"Very nice. Seems like they give good Christmas presents." Dani said, sitting at a table across from us. I mouthed the words "shut up" and she put her hands up and went back to the front.

"Dani! Grab a mop and clean around section A! China, what are you doing? Start cleaning those tables." I heard Mr. Howard say from the door that led to the kitchen.

"I have to go Normani. Maybe we could talk later on tonight or something? I have your number. I'll text you after work, okay?" I told her. She shook her head yes and stood up. I watched her walk outside before smiling to myself and starting my chore.
***********
Grateway is the imaginary city that the story takes place in. - Mad MuziQ 😡🎵