Chapter 9: Sugar Crash

This chapters songs are: idfc by blackbear, superstar sh*t by Dominic Fike, Wishful Thinking by BENEE

"Maybe," You said with a sly smile. You sure as hell weren't about to show Jack your saved TikTok's that's for sure.

"No way! Show me your saved TikTok's right now!" He laughed and his white teeth shone as he scurried to sit up next to you.

You opened your phone and went to the video, hiding your screen from him. As you opened the video you hit the unsave button.

"Nooooooo!" He laughed before speaking again "I saw that! You just unsaved it! No fair."

"I did not!" Your wide grin gave you away though as he shook his head.

For some reason you were attracted to every little detail of him. His shining chain that circled his thick neck, the exact way his curls fell over his forehead and his thick lashes that would make any girl jealous.

That's when you saw the Snapchat bitmoji of a girl pop up in the top of his notifications. The flutter of butterfly wings turned from grace to panic as you realised the mistake you made. He was a movie star, likely having girls fawn over him. You were just some costar that he went on fake dates with; called fake for a reason. You let your guard down and already you felt yourself getting hurt from it.

How could I think he really liked me? How could anyone like me?

"I... I should head back, it's late." You pressed your lips together, clearly it hurt you to say it.

Worse than all he looked hurt, but you knew that was just your imagination. It had to be. He was just acting, the fake dates were just for on screen chemistry. Fake.

The words hit your heart like a truck "oh, yeah, I guess you're right. Early morning and all." He tried to smile back but it was weaker than his normal grin, the playful tone faded away.

His eyes seemed to be thick with concern as you grabbed your bag, hoisting it over your shoulder.

"See you tomorrow?" He asked and you nodded. He seemed to look hopeful but you were sure it was for different reasons.

"I'll be the one in black," you smiled softly but as the door closed behind you, you felt sad.

You barely remember the walk back to your room as you were so focused on trying to get to your bed. You laid your heavy head against the foreign hotel bed sheets, your body crumpling as soon as you touched the mattress. The moonlight greeted you in between the slit of your curtains, watching down over you.

Despite spending time here in this room it still didn't quite feel like home, instead it felt like a stranger's room. Strangers rooms for a cast of strangers. You didn't know anyone here, not really anyways. How well could you know someone after a couple weeks, even if you spent 12 hours a day together.

I took the idea of fake dating too far. It was Ethan and my character that kissed, not me and Jack. How could I think he liked me? He had his own personal life. This was just a professional arrangement for the good of the movie. Nothing more. No feelings behind it. I was stupid to let myself fall for him.

The butterflies in your chest seemed to mourn at the idea. Mourning the loss of him, the idea of his embrace, his love but that's all they were. Ideas. Not real, fake, just acting.

It was my own fault for letting me fall for him when clearly it was just acting. I should always expect the worst. How could I have been so stupid?

You opened your phone to doom scroll through Instagram to take your mind off of it. That's when you saw the photos of Jack, in his suit from the interview he did for Avatar. Fuck, he looked good and that just made things worse. People in the comments were fawning over him, just confirming your heartache even more. Users that were prettier than me.