Chapter 5: A Cruel Past

No One's Pov

The first few weeks of school and his conversation with Weiss, Kanji kept to himself most of the time and scored just above average on assignments for his classes but no one knew how as they saw he spent most of his time in the retractional center slouching in the small lake. He sat alone at lunch and breakfast and stayed in his room when he wasn't in the recreation center or at class. On one particular day during lunch, Kanji was sitting alone as always when Ruby came to the table he was at. She walked over next to him and asked

"Mind if I sit here?" Kanji had his hood on. He looked at the table where team RWBY and JNPR sat. They were engaged in their own conversation and didn't see Ruby with him.

"Go ahead," He said

He was wondering why Ruby was not afraid of him. The only decent conversation the two had was when Ruby was in tears over Weiss snapping at her and they weren't friends just acquaintances who share classes together sat next to him, Kanji was eating his lunch and Ruby was just looking at him trying to see under his hood.

Kanji could feel her stare and took off his hood to see if she would say anything.

She asked, "Is there any reason you have to be a 'lone wolf'?"

Kanji swallowed the food in his mouth and answered, "No."

"So what keeps you away from everyone?" Ruby asked.

"It's complicated... I don't want to talk about it." Kanji answered.

Ruby stayed quiet as she continued to look at Kanji

"Not here, at least... I can tell you more another time when not that many people are around." Kanji replied.

"Can you at least sit with your team?" Ruby asked.

Kanji smirked and said, "You just had to ask nicely." He got up, and Ruby followed as he took a seat where team RWBY and JNPR were, Ruby sat next to him.

"So the lone wolf makes his way to the pack. What'd my sister do to get you to come here?" Yang asked Kanji.

"She asked," Kanji answered.

Team RWBY and JNPR continued their conversations, and when Kanji was asked questions, he kept the answers short and simple.

"So where did you live before you came to Beacon?" Yang asked.

"The Atoll Islands." Kanji answered.

"Isn't that outside the border of the continents of Anima and Menagerie." Jaune asked.

"Yes, it is." Kanji replied once more.
"Forgive me for saying this, but weren't the Atoll Islands uninhabitable and was the test site of the prototype of the Payload bomb." Weiss said.

"Yes, it was Schnee, but it wasn't uninhabitable. There were people there." Kanji said as he gave an angry look on his face."Now I've lost my appetite." Kanji answered.

He got up, and he walked away.

The next day in training class Cardin Winchester with The Executioner perched on his shoulder and Jaune Arc opposite him with Crocea Mors drawn, leaning on his weapon as if exhausted, in the spotlight shining on the Beacon Academy auditorium stage.

He looks at Cardin, who laughs at his opponent's tiredness, and Jaune gathers his strength to charge forward and swing his blade at Cardin, only for him to jump out of the way. Jaune looks back, surprised, as The Executioner sends Jaune's shield - and himself - flying back. Now only armed with his sword, Jaune continues to try and attack but is blocked by the mace's hilt. Their weapons locked, and Cardin forced himself up, towering over a struggling Jaune.