2: News

Chapter Two: News

It's after four in the morning when Dad returns. The sound of the garage wakes me. I hear him and some other men come in. Joham informs him that nothing went wrong today, and Jared asks how the meeting went.
I didn't know he went to a meeting. I get up from my bed and cross the room toward the door.

The conversation downstairs ceases. After a beat, Dad tells them they will continue it tomorrow and dismisses everyone. When they all leave, Dad jogs quickly up the stairs. I open the door to meet him in the hallway.

"Hey, Dad."

"Were you sleeping?" he asks, looking me up and down. "I'm sorry if we woke you."

I shake my head. "It's fine, I wanted to talk to you anyway."

"What about?" He crosses his arms and narrows his eyes. I keep eye contact, but just barely. Even if he's my father, I still feel the power of an Alpha radiating off him. He doesn't even have to try. Much like Joham, he is intimidating by accident.

"Where did you go today?" I ask.

"Just meeting some people. Why don't you go back to bed, sweetheart. It's very late. I was planning to talk to you about this tomorrow anyway."

"You were?"

He nods.

Okay, what the hell did he do today? He never tells me anything.

He kisses my head. "Go to bed, Diana," he says, sterner this time. Then he walks past me and closes himself in his room.

•••••

I greet Cody with a grand smile and big hug. He easily lifts me up and, keeping me tight against his chest, spins us around. I laugh until he sets me down.

"I missed you," he says into my hair.

I kiss his cheek, and he takes my hand as we walk toward the Banyan.

The Banyan Tree has been on our territory for centuries. It is huge - almost 80 feet in diameter and over eighteen stories tall. It's low branches are convenient for climbing, like the tree is welcoming you.

We're all very fond of it. We grew up with this tree. It's a walk to get to it, hardly a mile from the border actually, but it's so worth it.

Luckily, no one is there when we arrive. This is rare, as it's a special place for everybody.

We make out.

Cody sits on one of the many roots coming out of the ground and pulls me down, and I straddle him. His hands are on my waist and my hands in his sandy hair and on his back. I think, this is fun. He squeezes my ass and I yelp and we laugh and then his lips are on my lips and I think, I am so glad I can kiss this person.

Not even ten minutes of arriving at the Banyan Tree, I hear someone approaching. Dammit.

I groan as I heave myself up. Cody gets up with a much worse attitude as we straighten our clothes. I don't want to scar a child for life if he walks in on us.

But as the intruder gets closer, I realize he's much larger, and he's in wolf form. Cody and I stand and wait as he runs. Cody is clearly irate with his arms crossed and his posture straight. The wolf stops when he's close and shifts. I stand with my eyes wide in irritation and fixed on the entrance until a beta enters swiftly.

"What is it, Marcus?" I ask.

"Diana, your father wants to see you in his office," he tells me. Whoops, I forgot about that.