14: Bedtime

Chapter Fourteen: Bedtime

Dad watches me like I'm an animal, about to run. Levi's excitement, while subtle, is irritating. And I have no idea why Joham is here. Do they expect to fight me into his bed?

"Are you ready for sleep? It's after eleven," Levi asks me.

I shrug. "I'm not really tired."

"Head to bed anyway. You need sleep," Dad says.

"Why don't I come down to the guest hall when I'm ready?" I suggest calmly.

Dad opens his mouth but stops when Levi puts a hand on his shoulder. "Damien, remember what we discussed." Dad nods in reply.

"What?" I ask.

"Levi will tell you. Come on, Joham," Dad replies before the two of them walk down the hall. "Good night," he adds before disappearing into his bedroom.

"What did you two discuss?" I repeat impatiently.

He smirks at me. "Your dad agreed that I should start giving more commands instead of him. It'll help you adjust. After all, I will be your alpha one day," he explains proudly.

"You will never be my alpha," I hiss. "And how dare you try to 'command' me. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?" I shout.

His face hardens as he tries to keep his anger under control. "No, it's ok, Damien," he whispers, looking at the floor. My dad must be listening and wanting to intervene. Levi looks back up at me with a serious - almost frightening - expression. "Listen to me. You'd better start changing the way you think and feel about me because I am not going anywhere. We have been through this. You and I are going to be together for a very long time, and I promise you I can make it wonderful for both of us. But if you continue to defy and disrespect me, it will be hell for everybody involved. I will be your alpha, and we will be married. And you need to trust and obey me for it to work. I promise it won't be as bad as you think."

"You sound like a broken record. And I don't care what the hell you promise. I don't trust you," I spit.

"That's why we have this new sleeping arrangement," he replies smugly.

I roll my eyes. "There's no way in hell forcing me to sleep with you is going to make me like you."

"The point is to grow our bond naturally, so that I don't have to mark you before you're ready," he replies bluntly.

I gasp in anger and shock. "Is that what you've been planning?!"

"Yup. Now let's go. It's past your bedtime," he teases. But I'm in no mood for it.

"Dad!" I shout. "Come out here!"

"He's not going to interfere-" Levi starts.

"Shut up!" I screech. I stomp down the hall toward his bedroom, but Levi quickly grabs my arm and yanks me to a stop. "Get off me! Dad!" I shout, trying to twist out of his hold.

His large hand clamps over my mouth and he pulls me into his chest to keep me from moving any further. "Diana, please calm down. I only meant that we'd thought of marking you because it would make everything so easy, but I haven't because I knew it wouldn't be right. I know we can make this work on our own."