15: Leaving

Chapter Fifteen: Leaving

The next morning, Levi wakes me up around eight o'clock and says he wants to leave by ten. I'm disappointed that I don't have more time at home, but I don't bother arguing and get up.

Neither of us brings up our argument from last night. I think we have an unspoken understanding to let it go, for the sake of our arrangement.

The first thing I do is go upstairs and have a shower. It's been two or three days since my last one. I feel really good when I come out, all clean and refreshed.

I get dressed in denim shorts and a tank top before I dry my hair. I contemplate whether to put on make up and whether to even pack it, then decide that a little couldn't hurt and apply it.

I pack enough clothes for a week, since I don't know exactly how many days I'll be away, then pack all my toiletries.

As I'm doing all of this, though, I can't stop thinking about the elders. I don't know why; I just saw them yesterday. But the urge to see them is so great, I think I must before leaving. The clock in my room reads 9:14. I have time.

I turn off all the lights and rush out of my room with my bags. One of Levi's betas meets me on the stairs. He's tall like the rest of them, but has lighter hair, like me. I'm embarrassed to not remember his name.

"Can I take your bags, Diana?" He asks kindly.

"Oh," I mutter stupidly. I look down at them and nod. He snatches them and leaves immediately. "Thank you," I call after him. Already out of sight, he doesn't respond.

I hurry down to the kitchen and thankfully find my dad at the table with Levi. "Good morning," he greets me.

I only nod at him before moving my attention to Dad. There are of course other people in the room: the cook, Levi's betas, Joham, Paul, and a few other random people. Most of them stop their conversations and focus on me, but I ignore them completely. I talk quickly as I move through the kitchen. "Dad, I'm going to the Elders' Corner before I leave, okay? I'm gonna take your car. I'll be back soon." I grab the keys off the counter and start toward the garage.

"Hold it," he commands, holding a hand up to stop me. This better not be about how I don't technically have a license. He knows that I know how to drive; he taught me. I huff and turn toward him, one eyebrow raised. "Come, sit down and eat with us."

My mouth drops at his stupid remark. "Dad, there's no time." I reach for the garage door but an arm jumps in front of my path, blocking me. I glare at Paul. "Move," I hiss under my breath.

"Diana, please be polite and listen to your father," Levi chirps.

"Thank you, Levi and Paul. If you'll quit acting like a child and come sit down, I'll explain," Dad offers. I roll my eyes, plod back to the table, and grudgingly take a seat beside him. The conversations around us resume peacefully.

"Good girl," Levi whispers very quietly into his coffee mug, his blue eyes watching me closely.

"Creep," I whisper back.

I frustratedly look to Dad. He takes a long sip of coffee before speaking again. "Your grandfather is coming here this morning to say goodbye to you."