3: Enemy

Chapter Three: Enemy

Chapter Three

I'm out of my chair immediately. "What?!"

He stands too and starts talking, but I shout over him.

"What the hell are you even talking about? You want me to be a Luna? What - marry an alpha? I - I can't - How could you..?"

"Diana!" He shouts in the Alpha Tone, silencing me. "It is what's best for the pack. You will marry Alpha Levi Whitlock and be the Luna of his pack."

"We don't have a Luna anymore," I remind him. "And we're okay."

He sighs. "I plan...." he trails off shaking his head.

"What?" I ask.

"It's nothing you need to be worried about right now. It's far down the road."

Tears threatened to stream down my cheeks, but I fight them. It takes me a minute to get myself under control to talk. "I have a boyfriend," I say, my eyes red.

He scoffs. "That child is completely irrelevant in this matter, Diana. Honestly, he's just a pup."

That infuriates me. "I love him!" I shout.

He shakes his head. "You will love Levi."

"But I have a mate out there somewhere," I argue.

He ponders that for a minute. "I have thought about that," he tells me. "But the elders predicted that your mate would be five to ten years older than you. And you've been shifted more than eight years. I believe he would have found you by now."

"Are you saying I don't have a mate?"

"I'm saying he lives on another damn continent, or is most likely dead. Once Levi marks you, it'll make no difference."

That hits me hard. If I'm marked, the connection with my mate will be lost. The histories teach that a mate can place his mark over another to break it and reinstate the mate connection. This is highly unlikely, though, since the connection would have already been broken and you'd have no idea who your intended mate is.

The histories also tell us that marking is very painful... I don't want to be marked.

I shake my head slowly as I try to think. Marry someone I've never met, an alpha no less. And it's for the good of the pack, of two packs. But, what about Cody? What if I meet my true mate and I'm already married to this alpha?

"It's already been decided," my Alpha says. "You will meet Alpha Levi in a few days; he's coming here."

I glare at him.

"I understand that you're upset; I expected it. But once you meet him, you'll see how this will all work out."

I sit down, defeated. I shut my eyes tightly, sending tears down my face. I wish I were strong. I take after my mother, who was human. While other pure breads are tall, slim, beautiful, and strong, I am small and weak and devastatingly average. I'm not brave like the others. I have to be looked after. I'm a liability. I can't even get through a single meeting with my father without crying.

He waits patiently. He's used to my ridiculousness, very tolerant. I know he feels sorry for me. I take deep breaths, and after a minute or so he begins to speak softly.

"I know you're scared. This will be a big change.. But you are so important in all of this." I can tell he's trying to make it sound appealing, and I try hard to see it that way. He touches my hair, and I flinch. I didn't even notice him move. "Please, just meet him."

I look up at him. "Dad, listen to me." My voice is still shaking, but I don't care. I have to say this. "I am in love with Cody. He is my boyfriend, and I cannot leave him. This isn't fair to him. I am his. I'm taken. Someone else from our pack can marry this man."

"I know that Cody loves you. This will be especially hard for him. But it must be you. You have Alpha Blood. And, the pack doesn't trust me. Giving them my daughter will convince them."

"So you're just thinking of ways to get ahead?"

"I'm thinking of how to protect my pack!" He shouts. I don't speak for a minute. He sighs when he realizes he's scared me. "I'm sorry. This isn't easy for anyone. You are my only child. My little girl." He kisses my head. "And I love you very, very much."

I don't answer.

•••••

I am sent to my room when the meeting is over. Not like a child being punished, in this house it's more like 'yeah, you can try to run away if you want but I have three guards outside who will catch your ass before you hit the forest and drag you back here by the back of your neck if I told them to, you weak half human.'

Of course, he never actually says it like that. He said it like, "Diana, why don't you go to your room. If you have questions, we can talk about it later." But I know what he meant.

So I go to my room, and I think. How will I tell my friends? How the hell am I gonna tell Cody? How will he react? What is the new alpha like? Is he handsome? Is he nice? Will I be scared to meet him? And am I really even dreading it? He's an alpha; he's probably really hot.

But then I remember that he is the one who is screwing with my life. He's the one I hate. He's the enemy.