13: Time with Kim

Chapter Thirteen: Time with Kim

I had almost forgotten how beautiful Kim is. Honest to God, she could be a model. Her dark blond hair is longer than mine, coming all the way down to her hips, and her skin is almost as tan as Jared's. Her bright eyes and perfect cheek bones stun me when she comes in. I've been away from her for too long.

She tackles me onto the bed, embracing me tightly. Surprised and slightly overwhelmed, I hug her back. "Hey," I squeak. Her arms (much stronger than mine) are tight around my chest.

She smiles at me sweetly. "Hi," she laughs, hardly able to contain her excitement.

My mood has improved 200% since she walked in the door.

She lets off me and lays down. "God I missed you," she says.

"I can tell," I laugh, and then, "I really miss you too."

"So..." She sits up. "What's going on? It's been like a month since I've seen you. You look pale," she notes, tilting her head.

I turn away from her out of embarrassment. "I haven't been out much," I reply quietly.

Kim frowns. "Oh." We're both silent for a moment, until she continues. "We heard about the engagement. Are you excited for the wedding?"

I nod, afraid that my lies won't be convincing enough.

"Where's your ring?" She demands.

I look down at my empty fingers. "I don't have one," I say simply.

"You don't have one?!" She gasps.

"Yet! I don't have one yet. He hasn't gotten around to buying one." I can tell from her blank expression that she isn't buying it. "I guess he really wants to find the right one."

Disappointed, she asks, "When is the wedding?"

"Umm... I'm not really sure actually." Nobody's told me anything about it.

Kim's frown is heartbreaking. "What about your maid of honor? Have you already picked her?" Tears brim her bright brown eyes. "Are you even going to invite us?"

My heart breaks as she starts crying. I wrap my arms around her as I try to hold back my own tears. Poor Kim. I quit talking to her without warning and then she hears that I'm getting married. And I haven't asked her to be my maid of honor; I haven't even invited her. I really feel like shit.

"Kim, I'm so sorry," I cry, "The truth is, I have no idea who's planning the wedding, or if anyone has even begun to. But I promise you, you will be there beside me when I get married. Please, be my maid of honor?"

She looks up at me, eyes red and face wet, and smiles sweetly. "Yes!" She squeals and hugs me back. "Thank you," she whispers.

I nod, trying to stop crying. After a minute or two of comforting each other, she continues with her questions. "So you and Alpha Levi are doing better?"

Time to lie. "Yeah, we are."

"Well?" She looks at me mischievously. "Come on, Diana. Give me some details. Have you slept with him yet?"