5: Alpha Levi

Chapter Five: Alpha Levi

Thursday comes sooner than I'd like.

When I wake up, two men are standing in the hall, which is odd since no one should be on the third floor. I make myself decent-looking in the bathroom before I open the door.

Felix and Marcus look down at me. "Good morning," Felix says. "Alpha Levi will arrive soon. Your father and his other betas will meet him and his men at the border and lead them in. When things are settled, you will be called down to meet everyone. Alpha Damien has asked that you wait in your room until that time," Felix explains.

I step out into the hall and they both tense. "How long will that be?" I ask.

"Shouldn't be too long," Marcus answers. "You should go get yourself ready. Wear something nice."

"What about food? Am I allowed to eat?"

They frown at my remark. "You're not being punished. Alpha just doesn't want you getting sidetracked or lost." I scoff at the word 'lost'. I have lived here my entire life, why on earth would I get lost today?

"We'll get some breakfast for you while you get ready. Deal?" Marcus offers.

"Fine."

Maria brings me some eggs and toast while I'm doing my make up. I'm wearing a dress with a beautiful flower design that reaches about mid thigh. And when I look as perfect as possible, I sit on the couch in my room and wait.

My friends were excited when they heard a new (available) alpha was coming. Rachel and Chelsea fantasized about how they might be his mate. I wondered for a minute about that. Would that change things? Say Rachel is the alpha's true mate. Would they kill her? I shudder at the thought.

Then I remembered that Dad told me that his mate died before he met her, and I wonder: is he heartless? Losing your mate is probably the worst thing that could happen to a wolf. How has that affected him?

For the most part, I kept quiet around my friends. When Cody asked if there's something wrong, I told him 'no, of course not'. Even though he knew better, he let it go. I don't know how I'm going to keep things from him.

I'm scared as I sit here, anticipating what's coming. I finally hear cars approaching. The tires move fast against the gravel. I'm sure it's them.

At eleven o'clock on that Thursday morning, the front door of the pack house opens, and strangers flood in. Suddenly, I feel like my world has ended.

•••••

Knock. Knock. Knock.

I open my bedroom door, revealing Joham. "Hello, Diana. I've come to escort you downstairs."

I nod. "Okay." I step out into the hall and close my door behind me. I walk slowly and thankfully Joham lets me. He keeps the same pace as we go down the hall toward the stairs.

I hear people in the living room, the foyer, the kitchen. Which one is the alpha?

When we get to the stairs, I stop. Joham eyes me quizzically as I look up at him. I know that he knows the plan. Levi and I will pretend to fall in love and we'll get married so he can keep his pack together.

"Joham," I whisper.

"Yes?" He whispers back with amused eyes.

"The alpha," I whisper as quietly as I can. "Is he... Well, does he seem nice?" I watch him with desperate eyes as he thinks.

"He is an alpha. Naturally, he's authoritive, which I know you have problems with." He playfully pushes my shoulder and I stumble back about three steps. "But your father would never place you in harm's way. I believe you could be very happy with Alpha Whitlock." Joham pats my shoulder encouragingly and heads downstairs. I follow tentatively.