8: The Changes

Chapter Eight: The Changes

Things changed for me after that. I spent most of my time in my room, sleeping and avoiding everyone and everything. They took my phone, my computer, my tablet, and every other form of communication. I was on lock down.

"Dad," I'd cried, phone clenched tight in my hands. "Please! I've done nothing wrong; don't do this!"

He'd looked at me with pity, about how everyone looks at me lately. "Diana, sweetheart, I've told you: This is not punishment! This is for the greater good. It won't be forever, promise." He kissed my head as he stole my cell quickly and easily.

They announced the engagement last week. I wonder what my friends think. I haven't seen Cody since the first day Levi came here. I miss him terribly. I replay all of the memories of him in my head over and over and over. The way he kissed me the first time, right in front of all my friends. He was so soft and gentle then. So different from our private sessions, when we'd make out.

Tears begin to wet my cheeks. I shake the thoughts away and wipe my face. I can't keep doing this. It isn't like me to settle for what I don't want. I want information - hardly anyone ever talks to me anymore. I want freedom, to see my friends and date who I want to date. Mostly, I want Levi Whitlock gone.

Deciding that I should try to get back into a regular routine, I move quietly to the second floor, clad in sweatpants and an ancient hoodie. My hair is a mess and I have no make up on. I really hope today's not the day people decide to start paying attention to me.

Carmen comes into view first, cleaning the kitchen. A couple of Levi's betas snack at the table. I pull out a bar stool and lay my head on my arms, watching Carmen scrub.

She gives me a warm smile that I'm very appreciative of. "Hello sweetie." She  stops her work and dries her hands before rubbing my arm sympathetically. "Are you hungry?" I shake my head. "Well, just let me know if I can get you anything, honey." She pats my head and gets back to work.

I fall asleep for a little bit.

My dreams start out as memories. My childhood whirls by in flashes. So many faces, all smiling, and all looking at me. When had I ever seen so many people? Some older men walk through for a moment. I can tell that they're important, but I can't come up with their identity. I follow them, and as I do everything gets brighter. And suddenly they have a purpose. They are the Elders.

The men are not cruel or creepy in any way. I have always known them as kind and so very wise, always looking out for my best interest. They are all like grandfathers to me, perhaps because my actual grandfather, Joshua Sterling, is one of them.

They smile at me just as they did when I was a little girl, and I feel very calm. I sit before them and relax in the sunny corner of my mind. Then a man by the name of Amun turns to me and speaks for the first time. "Diana," he says, but his voice does not match his old face. This voice is young and strong, powerful even. "Diana," it says again, "Wake up!"

I gasp and jump up, naturally surveying the room. I half expect the old man to be there, but it's Levi that's standing over me. I haven't seen him in a few days.

"What do you want?" I grumble.

He grins and takes a seat beside me. "How could you possibly be sleeping? That's all you ever do," he asks.

I shrug. "I'm just tired all the time. And bored."

He nods, staring at the counter in thought. "Your father is concerned about you."

I shake my head carelessly. "He always is."

"He believes you could be chronically depressed."

I look him in the eye now, but I cannot think of a thing to say.

"Why..." I trail off. "Why have you come and woken me up to tell me this?" I ask.

"Well, we were talking and I wanted to know what you think we could do to make you happier?"

"I'm shocked," I reveal. "Do you have any ideas?" I ask slowly.

He snickers for a moment.

"What?" I demand.

"You are truly unpredictable. I thought you'd be jumping at the chance of something new. And you ask me for an idea?! Honey, are you sure you're alright?" He briefly touches my forehead before I move away, thinking of biting him.

"I just want to know what my options are," I clarify, unamused.

"Maybe you could have a friend over. That girl, Kim, could come see you, if you can behave."

I haven't seen my friends for more than two weeks, and it's been hell. But I wonder now if it's been so torturous because I'm not with them or if it's something else. Could seeing Kim or Rachel really make me feel better? What about Cody? Surely he would make me happy. And I certainly owe him an explanation.  Who knows what he must think now, hearing that his girlfriend is engaged to someone else.

"Can I go over to Cody's?" I hate asking like this, but I don't want to lose this opportunity altogether.

His features harden for a moment. "It's true that I don't want you to see your old boyfriend. I think it would be too hard on you. But I can ask Jared if Kim could visit, if you want."

He speaks like Kim and I are children, like we need him and Jared to set up a playdate. "No, I don't want that."

"What do you want?" He's starting to lose his patience now.

I try to think about everything. What do I want? I can feel that something is missing. It's beyond me, a spiritual thing. My dream comes back to me. The Elders. They could help me make sense of things. They have always been so wise and understanding. They might be my only hope of getting out of this whole situation.

"I'll go see the Elders of my pack," I decide aloud. He studies my face closely, like I might be kidding or something. "Really, I want to go see them and just talk for a little while."

"A bunch of old men? Over your BFFs or whatever? Why?"

"They aren't really that old, at least they don't look or act like it. Besides, my grandfather is one of them."

"Alright, I can drive you over to your grandfather's house tomorrow," Levi said.

"Tomorrow? It's barely the afternoon, why would we wait until tomorrow?"

"I'm busy today... I guess someone else can take you."

"Or I can just go myself."

He looks at me with an astounded expression. "By yourself?" he repeats. "It's on the other side of the grounds, miles away."

"Yes, I am a wolf too, you know," I remind him, irritated. "Wait a second, do you know?" When was the last time I shifted anyway? Christ, I bet it's gonna hurt.

"Yes, Diana, I am aware that you're a wolf too. I was under the impression that you didn't want me to see you shifted."

"What? Why would you think that?"

"From what Damien told me, you are only half-wolf, and therefore much smaller and weaker than the rest of us."

"Yeah, so?" I straighten up, getting kind of pissed now.

"Well, you are obviously sensitive about it," he concludes.

"I am not."

"So why don't you shift?"

"No one ever lets me!"

"I didn't think you were the kind of girl who waited around for permission."

"I'm not."

And a few minutes later I'm outside.

A/N:

Infinitely sorry for the wait, darlings. Thank you so much for 3K reads! And thank you for all the interest and love <3

Vote please! *kisses*