12: Phone Call

Chapter Twelve: Phone Call

When I go back downstairs, dressed in jeans and a decent T-shirt, Dad and Levi have moved to the living room with the betas. They're talking about general pack business: security, relations to other packs, different shifts and rotations for each of their jobs. Dad's the only one to glance at me when I pass through.

Since I still don't have access to my cell phone, I have to use the home phone in the kitchen. I'm thankful it's not on a cord connected to the wall, like my grandfather's, but it is still not ideal. I dial Kim's mobile number and lean against the fridge as I wait.

She doesn't pick up. I hang up without leaving a message and start to wonder if she's even home. Could she be out in the real world right now, while I'm stuck here trying to make use of my one chance in weeks to see her?

Maybe they knew she'd be out today. Maybe everyone's out. That's why they let me travel to the Elders' Corner alone; Dad knew I wouldn't run into anyone, and it's why they agreed she could come over, because she can't anyway. Maybe all my old friends have forgotten me already. I groan and push my forehead into the refrigerator. I don't hold it there though; I don't like the cold feeling against my skin.

I try Kim and Jared's home phone - who knows if it's even still connected - and Jared picks up on the second ring.

"Hello?"

"Jared! It's me, Diana," I say, ecstatic that anyone even picked up.

"Oh, um, hi," he stumbles. I hear him take a deep breath before continuing, clearly pondering something. "Are you allowed to be on the phone, Diana?" He asks quietly, as if he doesn't want to blow my cover or something. Like he'd ever look out for me.

I roll my eyes since he can't see me and try to control my temper. "Yes, as a matter of fact I am. I'm not in prison," I state. "Listen, is Kim around?"

"Why?" He questions, possibly offended by my previous answer. I hope he doesn't ruin this.

"Because I would like to speak with her." I fight to keep my patience.

He hesitates before sighing and calling for her.

I listen to their quiet, brief conversation before Kim nearly shouts, "Diana!?" There's a lot of shuffling on the other end of the line: probably Kim grabbing the phone out of her mate's hands and fumbling to get it to her ear.

I smile instantly. "Hey, Kim."

"How are you? Oh my god, I haven't heard from you in weeks." She sounds so happy, it makes my heart feel warm. I miss her so much.

"I know. I haven't seen anybody. I didn't even think you were home. Why didn't you answer your cell phone?" I ask.

"My cell phone? Oh, well I guess you wouldn't know. Jared shut it off - like, for good," she explains.

"Are you serious? Why?" I ask, baffled.

"Um," her voice trails off. He's probably right there breathing down her neck. I wonder how much trouble she got in, and what on earth did she do? "I can talk to you about that later."

"Can you come over?" I ask. "My dad said it's okay."

She gasps before talking to her husband-like mate.

Finally, she returns her attention to me. "Yes!" She squeals. "Jared will bring me over soon."

An idea strikes me suddenly. I could use this opportunity to see Cody and finally talk to him. Damn, I miss him. "Actually, could I come get you? We could walk back together?"

I hear her smirk as she says, "Or run." She's always one for competition.

I grin. "Sure. Just let me check with my dad. One sec." I set the phone down on the counter and go into the living room. Dad is standing in the front; everyone in the room is completely focused on him, following his every word. Oh, the power of an Alpha.

After standing there a moment, Dad notices and stops. When he stares at me, everyone else turns around to look too.  No pressure. "What is it, Diana?" Dad asks.

"Um, is it ok if I go over to Kim's house to get her?" I ask.

"Why doesn't she just come here?" He asks, already losing the little patience he has.

I hesitate with my lie for a second, unfortunately. "Because we wanted to shift together and run back."

"You wanted to 'shift together'?" He repeats, clearly not buying it. A couple of the betas chuckle quietly. The stern look Dad gives them lasts only a second, but it's powerful enough to make them shut up. "No, Diana, you are not to leave this house tonight. If she needs to be escorted, Jared or one of our guards will take care of it." He turns away from me. I open my mouth to argue that it won't take more than a few minutes, but before I get the chance Dad says, "You're dismissed, child."

I growl quietly as I quickly turn the corner and go back into the kitchen.

Watch it. Dad warns me in my head. Geez, when's the last time he used the Mind Link to threaten me? I must've really pissed him off.

He could probably tell that I was up to something, which really isn't fair. As an alpha's daughter, I never stand a chance at this kind of thing. I'll just have to find another time to see my love.

I quickly pick the phone up. "Kim? Yeah, you'll need to meet me here at the Pack House. I had an idea but it won't work out."

She tells me she'll be here in ten minutes and we hang up. I decide to go up to my room to wait for her, ignoring the infuriating men in my living room.

Babes ~ who else is excited to see Kim again?