3. Questions

Chapter 3.

            I fell down on my bed, tired of school already, and it’s only the first week.

            Cause all my life, I’ve been good, till now. Ohhhhhh I’m think- “Hello?”

            “Hey I’m just calling to ask if Jack asked you out yet.”

            “No…? He did not. Wait, why are you asking?”

            “Because I want to know what you’d say.”

            There was a pause. I had no idea

The whole day Jack was following me around, making pointless conversation. I mean, if he wanted to ask me out, why didn’t he already?

            Maybe it’s for the better.

            Because I can honestly say I have no idea how to answer that question. From anyone. When I was younger, all I wanted was a boyfriend. I’ve had a few, nothing serious. Just petty dates, mostly macking sessions at parties. But now I have Tony. And I like the feeling of being a badass, sneaking around with him without anyone knowing.

            But Jack was cute, with dark eyes that went well with his messy auburn hair, that reminded me so of the messy do Jim has on The Office. And he was nice. We would have the perfect relationship. Never take advantage of me, and probably always be there. He made good grades, and a good influence on my badass side. He would be my perfect boyfriend, the one my parents always dreamed of for me.

            So why didn’t I feel as if I should be with him?

            “I don’t know Auden.”

            “He’s cute Jules. And he likes you.” I felt bad that I couldn’t tell her the real reason.

            “Look at you being optimistic!”

            “Well, I heard he’s asking you out by next Friday, so start thinking. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Click.

            Great. When is July going to come?

~

            For the next few days, I tried to stay away from Jack. I needed to think.

            By the Thursday after I heard the news, I was on edge all day.

            Slam. My bottom locker was closed shut by the hand of Tony. I looked up at his smug face looking down at me. “What are you doing Friday night? I think Auden is going to have us over.” By us, he meant the regulars.

            “I don’t kn-“

            “I heard that kid is asking you out on Friday. I don’t like it Jules. How are you going to break the news that you are secretly taken by me?” he moved his eyebrows up and down.

            “Shhh! I don’t know what I’m going to say yet…”

            “You’re saying no right?”

            I looked down. “I’m not sure. Tony, he’s a really nice kid! What’s one date? One movie? It’s not like we’re a thing or anything.”

            His eyes turned darker and his smirk was wiped completely off his face. “What!? Are you kidding me?”

            I stood up to him now, both mentally and physically, suddenly gaining confidence. “No, I am not. It’s not like we’re together! I’m not cheating! Right?” Tears started to well up my eyes.

            “Hey, it’s okay, I’m sorry. You’re right, it’s not cheating.” He took me into a hug as I buried my face into the crest of his neck and shoulder. It felt so warm and safe to be in his arms. Even though I towered over him by a good two inches, it kind of fit perfectly. It was the only good thing to my awkward height. “I just wanted to know. You’re okay.”