15. It Gets Worse

Chapter 15

School is hell. I was the most talked to girl in school for the next few days. I didn’t want that. It's Friday now. The stares have slowed down, to where now I can tolerate them, or have the energy to glare at them. Of course I was embarrassed at first, but how do you solve that? I talked to everyone who I needed to talk to. Answered the same not-your-business questions every few minutes. I cleared things up with my friends who, thank God, didn’t react as badly as I thought. Jeremy was the most shocked, but that was just because he wasn’t here for like ever. They mainly just teased us. And finally, Tony had called me around 7 on Monday.

"Hey," he had said to me when I picked up on the last ring of his third call. I couldn’t ignore him any longer.

"How much trouble did you get in?" I asked quietly. I realized I had to take care of this without mistakes. If I did slip, I could lose him.

"None at all actually," he chuckled out. This was awkward. It was like talking to an ex-boyfriend at a class reunion. "But the principal wanted me...or your boyfriend, to tell you not to skip again." I rolled my eyes at this. I would get caught on my first time.

"You know me." I stated. I could feel his smile through the phone when he agreed sarcastically.

“I can’t believe you did that, Ton.” I said to him. My blood started to boil.

“I needed to say it. I needed for you to understand I would do anything for what we have. I do love you Jules.”

“That doesn’t explain anything.” I said back sharply.

“Yes it does. I know now that you love me too.”

“Oh yeah? How’s that?”

“You’re mad.” I sighed. He was making no sense. “And you’re still talking to me.”

"So what happens now Tony?" I changed the topic. We couldn’t just forget what comes next. Sure as hell nobody else would.

"I’m not too sure actually. I don’t know. But I do know this. That you do love me. You need me Jules, and I need you also. You're my best friend, and-"

"That’s exactly it Tony. We're best friends. We’ve known each other for too long. Were only in high school, we don’t know jackshit." That reminded me I needed to talk to Jack.

"Listen to me Jules," he said after silence. "at the end of the day, it’ll be you and me. I meant what I said today."

"Yeah, you love me today, but what about when you are alone? At another party? And you see that girl? Do you remember that Ton?"

"I made a mistake."

"Well don’t make another one." I had said back, tears rolled out of my eyes.

And here I am. I made it through the week. Only being called a whore to my face by 9 different churchgoers, asked out by 6 different douchers, and confronted about the rumors at least 30 different times. Jack, who knew this was all true before, was speaking to me. He still put his arm around me in the hall, to warn off anyone who would try to touch me. He also apologized for freaking out after Tony's speech.

"Do you want to come over tonight for dinner? My parents would like to meet you." I looked at him strangely until I realized he wasn't kidding. I’ve never been over a boyfriend’s house for dinner before. I couldn’t imagine why he would want this after the stress filled week 

just happened. But I remembered that I was in enough trouble with him already, might as well go to make him happy.

"Sure," I smiled up at him while trying to undo my lock. Finally, my own personal hell week was over. I grabbed my books and stood up. Jack put his arm around me, but he wasn't walking towards the parking lot. He was looking back at Tony, who was standing there staring at him.  Okay, more like glaring.