Tail Flicks

- A tail flick can be used in many ways. It can mean, "Follow me," "I heard you," or even, "Be quiet!"

• A sharp flick and an agitated expression usually means the cat is annoyed, irritated, or impatient.

• A bristle and a sharp flick of your tail usually means "Get over here now! I'm angry with you!"

• A flick and jerking your head in a certain direction means "Meet me to the bushes at your left" or "Sneak out of camp with me through the brambles to the right."

• If you call out to someone and their back is to you, they can flick their tail to show that they've heard.

• Sticking your tail straight up in the air and flicking it sharply down means "Sit!"

• An eye-roll and a flick of the tail means "Whatever."

• A mrrow of laughter and a flick of a tail means "That was a good joke."

• Saying, "Oh, fox-dung, I gotta go!" and flicking your tail means "Sorry! Talk to you later?" or "Yikes! I've gotta go use the dirtplace!"

• Flicking your tail at a she-cat's belly and smiling means "She's expecting kits!"

• Flicking your tail at someone and making a face means "What is wrong with him/her?"

• A sharp flick of your tail during battle can mean two things; it can mean "Attack!" or "Help me!"

• A shrug followed by a tail flick: "Oh well."

• Putting a tail over another cat's mouth means "Shut up, mouse-brain!"

• When the flick/movement is sharp or "Please, quiet" when the cat is talking too much.

• A flick in a certain direction can emphasize that they've got to go or look there.

• A normal flick can just be caused in amusement.

• A tail flick can be a way to vent anger or rage.

• Sometimes a cat can flick their tail when about to say something funny or sarcastic.

• A tail flick can also be executed in an arrogant, conceited, or contemptuous manner.

• Anxiety is another feeling that can trigger stiff tail flicks.

• Though many tail flicks occur in rash emotions, the tail can also be flicked happily.

• A tail flick can mean that the cat is bored.

• The tail can be flicked playfully on another cat's muzzle.

• A flick executed in the air can change the direction the cat will land.

• The need to protect can also be demonstrated by a tail flick.

• A cat may flick his/her tail to prompt something. The tail can be flicked in a proud manner.

• A cat may also flick their tail when about to give them a lecture on what is right.

• Eagerness can cause tail flicks as well.
• A tail flicking one way, then the other is used when one is to surround a cat with others.

| Other |

There are several other motions that can be done with the tail:

• Stroking another cat's spine or shoulder with the tail is a sign of affection or sympathy (Stroking on the cheek has the same meaning).

• Lashing their own tail usually happens in times of anger. However, this can also be a sign of excitement.

• Wrapping their tail around another cat shows affection or the need to protect. Mother cats often wrap their tail around their kit(s).

• The tail can also be used to beckon another cat.

• The tail can also show different emotions; a drooped tail, for instance, usually means the cat is sad.

• When first starting to hunt, it is instinct to swish their tail, but in order to catch prey properly, the tail must be kept still.

• Swishing their tail can mean that the cat is very excited and ecstatic. It can also be a sign of commencing an action or contemplating an important decision.

• Lifting their tail up is a form of composure, just as we humans sit up to recompose ourselves.

• The tail can be used to brush another cat away if they're not wanted. However, it can also be used for the opposite: to beckon a cat closer.

• When a cat cares for another cat, he/she can smooth their fur with the brush of the tail.

• A cat can whisk their tail when being conceited to show that they know everything.

• Twitching their tail can be a sign that they are skeptical about something.

• Crossly whipping their tail is a demonstration of anger.